Stay Logged In: New User Question

• Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
In summary, the "Stay Logged In" feature allows users to remain signed into a website even after closing their browser by storing a unique identifier cookie on their device. It is generally considered secure, but users should keep their devices and browsers up to date and use strong passwords. It can be disabled in the website's account or security settings and should work on most devices, but may have exceptions. The duration of the feature varies depending on the website, but it will usually be disabled after an extended period of inactivity.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
I'm new here. Typically I don't log in and out of the Forums I work during the day, I just stay logged in. Is there a way to do that here? If not, no big deal, it's just more convenient for me.

Thanks!
-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a "keep me logged in" checkbox in the login dialog.

Likes topsquark
During login there should be a checkbox for staying logged in.

Likes topsquark
1660653605972.png

Likes topsquark

1. What is the purpose of the "Stay Logged In" feature?

The "Stay Logged In" feature allows users to stay signed in to their account even after they close the browser or navigate away from the website. This allows for easier and quicker access to the website without having to constantly log in.

2. How do I activate the "Stay Logged In" feature?

The "Stay Logged In" feature is usually activated by checking a box or selecting an option during the login process. This will save your login information and keep you logged in for future visits to the website.

3. Is the "Stay Logged In" feature secure?

Yes, most websites use secure encryption methods to protect your login information when using the "Stay Logged In" feature. However, it is always recommended to use caution when using this feature on public or shared devices.

4. Can I disable the "Stay Logged In" feature?

Yes, you can usually disable the "Stay Logged In" feature by logging out of your account and unchecking the box or deselecting the option during the login process. This will prevent the website from saving your login information for future visits.

5. Will the "Stay Logged In" feature automatically log me out after a certain period of time?

It depends on the website's settings. Some websites may have a time limit for the "Stay Logged In" feature, while others may keep you logged in until you manually log out. It is always recommended to log out of your account when using a shared or public device.