Steady State Solution for Damped System with External Forcing

In summary, the homework statement is to find the steady-state solution for the damped system x'' + x' + x = 2cos(3t). The attempted solution was found to be (-16/73)cos(3t)+ (6/73)sin(3t), which was wrong. The correct solution is xss=Ccos(3t-δ). With 3, A and \delta need to be calculated to find the specific integral of the equation.
FHamster

Homework Statement

Find the steady-state solution having the form https://webwork3.math.ucsb.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/e1/348e8eb8a4ddf62dd06b46276196e71.png for the damped system x'' + x' + x = 2cos(3t)

Homework Equations

Acos3t + bsin3t

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I wasn't sure how to do this problem, so I just tried undetermined coefficients and got (-16/73)cos(3t)+ (6/73)sin(3t), which was wrong :< muuu

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FHamster said:
To be honest, I wasn't sure how to do this problem, so I just tried undetermined coefficients and got (-16/73)cos(3t)+ (6/73)sin(3t), which was wrong :< muuu

Why is (-16/73)cos(3t)+ (6/73)sin(3t) less than the variable "muuu"?

FHamster said:

Homework Statement

Find the steady-state solution having the form https://webwork3.math.ucsb.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/e1/348e8eb8a4ddf62dd06b46276196e71.png for the damped system x'' + x' + x = 2cos(3t)

I just tried undetermined coefficients and got (-16/73)cos(3t)+ (6/73)sin(3t), which was wrong :< muuu

It is the correct steady-state solution, but you need to convert it to the given form xss=Ccos(3t-δ).

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]Acos(\omega t- \delta)= Acos(\delta)cos(\omega t)- Asin(\delta)sin(\omega t)[/tex]
With [itex]\omega= 3[/itex]. What are A and [itex]\delta[/itex]?

yo need to calculate the particular integral of it.
WHICH WILL BE
2cos(3t)/(D^2+D+1)
where D is what I think you can guess.multiply and divide by D^2-D+1 on left.the denominator will contain only even powers of D.put D^2=-9 in denominator and carry out the differentiation in numerator after that to find the result and if you don't get it see any book on differential eqn to find out the P.I. of it.C.F.will not contribute because it will be zero in steady state.

Related to Steady State Solution for Damped System with External Forcing

What is the steady state of a damped system?

The steady state of a damped system refers to the state where the system has reached a constant output or response, after being subjected to a disturbance or input. In other words, the system has stabilized and is no longer changing over time.

What factors affect the steady state of a damped system?

The steady state of a damped system is affected by several factors including the damping ratio, natural frequency, and the amplitude of the input or disturbance. These factors determine the rate at which the system reaches steady state and the magnitude of the steady state response.

How is the steady state of a damped system calculated?

The steady state of a damped system can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas such as the transfer function or Laplace transform. These calculations take into account the system's parameters and inputs to determine the steady state response.

What is the significance of the steady state in a damped system?

The steady state of a damped system is important because it represents the long-term behavior of the system. It allows us to predict the system's response to a disturbance or input and assess its stability and performance.

How can the steady state of a damped system be improved?

The steady state of a damped system can be improved by adjusting the system's parameters such as the damping ratio or natural frequency. Additionally, using control techniques such as feedback control can help reduce the system's response time and improve its steady state behavior.