Steam = 100C -- how much steam got injected into the water to heat it up?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the heat needed for a specific process. The participants mention setting up a heat balance and using equations to describe the process. They also consider the definitions of heat given off and heat taken up and discuss how steam cools down in real-life situations. One participant asks for help in combining relevant equations to find the desired heat amount.
Yeahaight
Homework Statement
To heat 4 kg of water from 10 C to 90 C, 100 C water vapor was injected. How much steam was injected?
Given values:
m1 = 4kg
t1 = 10 C
t2 = 90 C
t = 100 C
c water = 4,2*10^3 J/kg*k
r = 22,6*10^5 J/K
Relevant Equations
Q = r*m
Q = c*m(t2-t1)
I guess, firstly I have to calculate the heat that is needed.
Q=c*m(t2-t1)
I'm not sure what to do further from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeahaight said:
I'm not sure what to do further from here
You set up a heat balance: heat given off = heat taken up

BvU said:
You set up a heat balance: heat given off = heat taken up
Well, heat taken up would be - Q = c water*m1*(t2-t1)?
I'm not sure about heat given off, though.

What is the definition of r?

Yeahaight said:
I'm not sure about heat given off, though
So you want to find out how much heat is given off by starting out with x kilograms of water vapour at 100 ##^\circ##C and ending up with ... ?

How do you combine your relevant equations to describe this process ?

I have deleted some posts. Please do not provide a full solution, but instead help the OP do the work.

Likes BvU

1. How does steam heat up water to 100 degrees Celsius?

Steam is created when water is heated to its boiling point, which is 100 degrees Celsius at standard atmospheric pressure. When steam is injected into water, it transfers its heat energy to the water molecules, causing them to vibrate faster and increase in temperature.

2. What is the relationship between the amount of steam injected and the temperature of the water?

The temperature of the water will increase as more steam is injected into it. This is because the steam carries heat energy, and the more steam that is injected, the more heat energy is transferred to the water, causing its temperature to rise.

3. How much steam is needed to heat a specific amount of water to 100 degrees Celsius?

The amount of steam needed to heat a specific amount of water to 100 degrees Celsius depends on the initial temperature of the water and the specific heat capacity of the water. However, as a general rule, it takes approximately 540 calories of heat energy to convert 1 gram of water at 0 degrees Celsius to steam at 100 degrees Celsius.

4. Can steam continue to heat up water beyond 100 degrees Celsius?

No, at standard atmospheric pressure, water will boil and turn into steam at 100 degrees Celsius. The temperature will not increase beyond this point, as the heat energy will be used to convert the water into steam rather than increase its temperature.

5. What happens to the steam after it has heated up the water to 100 degrees Celsius?

The steam will continue to exist as steam at 100 degrees Celsius as long as it is in contact with the water. However, if the steam is removed from the water and allowed to cool, it will condense back into liquid water and release its heat energy into the surrounding environment.