Steam consumption calculation on a steam exchanger

In summary, this is a steam heat exchanger made up of finned tubes. The tube IDs are 22.7mm, 26.7 mm, and 1310.0 mm long. The tube OD is 26.7 mm and the tube length is 1310.0 mm. The tube material is ss304 and the fin OD is 66.0 mm. There are 260 fins on one tube and the fin material is ss304. The total number of tubes is 10. The supplied steam pressure is 3.5 kg/sqcm and the fabric temperature at the inlet is 68 degrees Celsius and the fabric temperature at the outlet is 72 degrees Celsius.
saruvanan
We are having a steam heat exchanger. Its made up of finned tubes.
Tube id 22.7mm
Tube od 26.7 mm
Tube length 1310.0mm
Tube material ss304
Fin od 66.0 mm
Fin thk 1.5mm
No of fins on one tube 260
Fin material ss304
Total no of tubes 10

Supplied steam pressure 3.5 kg/sqcm

A inverted bucket trap is connected at the outlet
Material passed is fabric
Fabric temperature at inlet 68deg c
Fabric temperature at outlet 72deg c

What will be the steam consumption in terms of kgs on this stram heat exchanger

Engineering news on Phys.org
Too little data but if I had to guess 20 to 100 kg/hr

Is this a homework problem?

Chet

How much heat does the fabric have to absorb to raise its temperature by 4C?

That'll be a start, but it is tough to know without seeing a design drawing if there is going to be a lot of heat lost to the air.

russ_watters said:
How much heat does the fabric have to absorb to raise its temperature by 4C?

That'll be a start, but it is tough to know without seeing a design drawing if there is going to be a lot of heat lost to the air.
I think that the range of cold side temperatures in the problem statement is provided only to constrain the temperature driving force (i.e., the inlet and outlet temperature differences for the steam). I think the focus is going to be on the tube side of the system, with the OP required to estimate the overall heat transfer coefficient (including the effect of the fins), which will determine the heat load. Once the heat load is known, the required steam flow can be determined. At least that is how I would approach this problem.

Chet

Thanks for the replies
I've a design drawing. This is no homework. This setup we are having in my company.

1. What is a steam exchanger?

A steam exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another through a solid wall. In the case of steam exchangers, steam is used as the heating medium and transfers heat to another fluid, such as water or air.

2. Why is it important to calculate steam consumption on a steam exchanger?

Calculating steam consumption on a steam exchanger is important for determining the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of the system. It also helps in optimizing the use of steam and identifying any potential issues with the exchanger.

3. How is steam consumption calculated on a steam exchanger?

Steam consumption on a steam exchanger is calculated by measuring the amount of steam entering and leaving the exchanger and taking into account any losses or leaks. This can be done through direct measurement or by using calculations based on the heat transfer rate and specific heat of the fluids.

4. What factors can affect steam consumption on a steam exchanger?

The amount of steam consumed on a steam exchanger can be affected by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the steam, the heat transfer rate, the size and design of the exchanger, and any insulation or steam traps used in the system.

5. How can steam consumption on a steam exchanger be reduced?

Some ways to reduce steam consumption on a steam exchanger include optimizing the steam pressure and temperature, improving insulation and steam trap efficiency, and properly maintaining the exchanger to prevent any leaks or inefficiencies.