Step Potentials: Particle Reflection and Wavefunction Calculation

• Thread starter Fourier mn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potentials
In summary, a particle of mass m and E<V0 has an incoming amplitude of A and encounters a potential barrier. The time independent wavefunction for x>0 is Aexp(-\alphax) where the potential is 0, and Acos(k0x) where the potential is >E. The reflection coefficient for the particle can be found using the equation R=(abs(Ar)2/abs(Ai)2). To solve the problem, the general solution must be written in each region, then the wave functions and their derivatives must be matched at the boundaries. It is recommended to use complex exponentials instead of sin and cos. The amplitudes in the different regions are not the same, with the coefficient A used
Fourier mn

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m and E<V0 approaches from the left and encounters a potential barrier, assume the amplitude of the incoming particle is A.
Write the time independent wavefunction for x>0 and x>0 at t=0 E is definite.
Find the reflection coefficient of the particle.

Homework Equations

R=(abs(Ar)2/abs(Ai)2)

The Attempt at a Solution

for x<0 where the potential is 0, [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex]=Aexp(-[tex]\alpha[/tex]x)
and where x>0 where the potential is >E, [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex]=Acos(k0x)
is it correct? does both of the amplitudes are the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
For x<0, you have oscillating wavefunction, and for x>0 you have a decaying wavefunction. Is this right? Is it a step up or a step down? In either case, when doing these reflection/absorption problems, I think that it is convenient to use complex exponentials rather than sin and cos.
The idea in these problems is to write the general solution in the different regions, then match the wave functions and their derivatives at the boundaries. This will give you equations that let you solve for the unknown coefficients. Does that help?

it's a step up. I agree that it would be easier if I could express both as exponentials, but how do i convert sin/cos to an exponential?

Solve the V=0 schrodinger equation
[tex]{d^2x\over{dx^2}}+{2mE\over {\hbar^2}}=0[/tex]
just as thought it is a second order DE.
You probably learned that when you get complex conjugate roots of the characteristic equation,
then you write the solution as sin + cos. But you don't have to do this. You can write your solution as exponentials just like you would if you got real roots. I'll give you an example in a minute.

Solve
[tex]{{d^2y}\over{dx^2}}+1 = 0[/tex].
You find that the roots are +i and -i. Right? You were probably taught in your DE class to write
[tex]y = A\cos(x) + B\sin(x)[/tex], because they want you to get a "real" solution. But you can instead write
[tex]y = C e^{+ix}+D e^{-ix}[/tex].
Notice that this is the same solution that you would have written down if you thought that the roots +i and -i were actually real.
Take my word for it. You can cast the second solution into the form of the first solution. If you want to try it, you'll need
[tex]e^{\pm ix}= \cos x \pm i\sin x[/tex]

I understand that, but my book uses exponentials only when the V=0, and not when V>0 and E in this case.

and then I can set one of the exponentials to zero, and i only have one. so when I take the derivatives to check continuity it'll be easier.

That's fine too. The procedure is the same either way:
1. Write the general solution in each region.
2. Match the function and the derivatives at the boundaries.
3. Solve the resulting system for the coefficients (in terms of the one you're given, ie A).

Right. Don't use sin and cos. The complex exponentials offer the interpretation of a right/left traveling wave.

last question, are all of the amplitudes the same? I mean in the different regions

No. Use a different coefficient in front of every term. Use the coefficient A in front of the term representing the initial "incoming" wave.

Ok, thank you very much. I'll go wrestle with the questions, I'll come back if I'll have any question. thank you.

Cheers!

my step potential looks like-
_________
|
|
---------
for tunneling and passing the barrier there are only two wave equations for each?

*************___________
************|
************|
----------------

Related to Step Potentials: Particle Reflection and Wavefunction Calculation

1. What is a step potential?

A step potential is a sudden change in potential energy that occurs at a specific point in space. It is often represented as a step or barrier in a graph of potential energy versus position.

2. How do particles behave when encountering a step potential?

When a particle encounters a step potential, it can either be transmitted through the barrier or reflected back. The likelihood of transmission or reflection depends on the energy and mass of the particle, as well as the height and width of the barrier.

3. What is particle reflection in a step potential?

Particle reflection in a step potential refers to the phenomenon where a particle approaching a step potential is unable to pass through and instead bounces back in the opposite direction. This is similar to how a ball bounces off a wall.

4. How is the wavefunction calculated for a step potential?

The wavefunction for a step potential can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wavefunction of a particle evolves over time. The resulting wavefunction can then be used to determine the probability of finding the particle at different points in space.

5. What practical applications do step potentials have in physics?

Step potentials have various applications in physics, such as in solid state physics where they are used to model the behavior of electrons in semiconductors. They are also used in quantum mechanics to study the tunneling effect and in nuclear physics to explain the behavior of particles in potential wells.