Step Up Transformer: Current AND Voltage Increased?

In summary, a step up transformer increases the voltage and current available to a load. However, in my experiment, my hypothesis is not being supported because in every test that has been completed, the induced voltage goes up AND the induced current goes up. The resistance, number of primary coils and primary voltage has all been kept constant- the only thing that has changed is the number of secondary coils. Please help me as to why my data does not match the theory!
Scarlett Bones
Please help! I have recently completed an experiment on transformers, using a step up transformer. I am aware of all the theory that shows that in a step up transformer, the induced voltage should increase and the induced current should decrease. However, in my experiment, my hypothesis is not being supported because in every test that has been completed, the induced voltage goes up AND the induced current goes up. The resistance, number of primary coils and primary voltage has all been kept constant- the only thing that has changed is the number of secondary coils. Please help me as to why my data does not match the theory!

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your load??

houlahound said:
What was your load??

How do I calculate the load? The only values I have are the voltages and currents over time, and the time. It was recorded through Logger Pro if that's any help. I think I need the load line to line voltage and the maximum load phase current to calculate the load but I'm not exactly sure if I have those values...

Scarlett Bones said:
I am aware of all the theory that shows that in a step up transformer, the induced voltage should increase and the induced current should decrease.

that isn't worded correctly, which leads to you making incorrect assumptions about your results

Scarlett Bones said:
However, in my experiment, my hypothesis is not being supported because in every test that has been completed, the induced voltage goes up AND the induced current goes up.

again this is incorrect

What you should be realising that the "rule/law" says that with a step up transformer the AVAILABLE/MAXIMUM current that transformer can supply decreases

since you have given no figures for your claims, you need to redo your experiment and actually measure the primary current and the secondary current
In a step up transformer, the secondary current will always be less than the primary current for a given load value
Scarlett Bones said:
How do I calculate the load? The only values I have are the voltages and currents over time, and the time.

Somehow I doubt that statement
what is the load ? a resistor ? a lamp ? something else. we need to know if the load is inductive or resistive ?

so far your experiment is full of holes ... do the proper measurements and post them in this thread and tell us what the load isDave

Scarlett Bones said:
Please help me as to why my data does not match the theory!
Experimental error. Please provide a table with the number of secondary coils, the secondary voltage, the secondary current, the primary voltage, and the primary current. Please also describe how each was measured and include a circuit diagram showing the configuration and label all relevant points where leads were placed.

Is it possible a real lossy transformer could do this or a short in the coils?

This might just be another of the common misunderstanding about transformers(and a poor description of the experiment): if you add a step up transformer to a simple circuit like a resistor, both the voltage and current to the load do indeed both go up.

Likes CWatters
+1

Scarlett Bones said:
Please help! I have recently completed an experiment on transformers, using a step up transformer. I am aware of all the theory that shows that in a step up transformer, the induced voltage should increase and the induced current should decrease.

It's best not to think of a transformer as changing the current. In the majority of cases it is the load that determine the current on both sides of the transformer.

When analysing a transformer circuit it's best to work from the source to the load to determine the voltages. Then work from the load back to the source to determine the currents.

1) Consider a 1V AC source and a 1Ohm load resistor...
With no transformer the current in the resistor is given by I = V/R = 1/1 = 1A. The power is I*V = 1*1 = 1W

2) Now insert a 1:2 step up transformer that doubles the voltage...

Circuit voltages...Starting at the source you have 1V AC then the transformer steps that up to 2V. There is now 2V on the load.

Circuit currents...Starting with the load.. The current in the load resistor is now V/R = 2/1 = 2A. That's also the current in the secondary. The current in the primary is double that in the secondary so the primary current is 2*2 = 4A.

The power in the load is now 2*2 = 4W. eg four times what I was without a transformer so the situation has totally changed.

With the transformer the primary current is 4A and the secondary current 2A. That's what they mean by the transformer reducing the current. They do not mean its reduced compared to the situation without a transformer.

Scarlett Bones said:
Please help! I have recently completed an experiment on transformers, using a step up transformer. I am aware of all the theory that shows that in a step up transformer, the induced voltage should increase and the induced current should decrease. However, in my experiment, my hypothesis is not being supported because in every test that has been completed, the induced voltage goes up AND the induced current goes up. The resistance, number of primary coils and primary voltage has all been kept constant- the only thing that has changed is the number of secondary coils. Please help me as to why my data does not match the theory!
This thread is closed. Please repost in the Homework Help forums, where all schoolwork goes. And please fill out the Homework Help Template you are provided there. Thank you.

1. How does a step-up transformer increase both current and voltage?

A step-up transformer increases both current and voltage through the process of electromagnetic induction. The primary coil of the transformer is connected to an alternating current source, which creates a constantly changing magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary coil, which has a higher number of turns than the primary coil. This results in an increase in voltage and a decrease in current.

2. What is the purpose of a step-up transformer?

The purpose of a step-up transformer is to increase the voltage of an alternating current. This is necessary for long-distance power transmission, as higher voltages can be transmitted more efficiently over long distances. Step-up transformers are also used in power plants to increase the voltage output from generators before it is transmitted to the grid.

3. Can a step-up transformer increase voltage without increasing current?

No, a step-up transformer cannot increase voltage without also increasing current. According to the law of conservation of energy, the power output of the transformer must equal the power input. This means that if the voltage is increased, the current must decrease in order to maintain the same power output.

4. What are the limitations of a step-up transformer?

One limitation of a step-up transformer is that it can only increase the voltage of an alternating current. It cannot be used with direct current. Additionally, the maximum voltage that can be achieved by a step-up transformer is limited by factors such as the insulation of the coils and the breakdown voltage of the transformer's components.

5. How does a step-up transformer affect the efficiency of a power system?

A step-up transformer can improve the efficiency of a power system by reducing the amount of energy lost during transmission. Higher voltages result in lower currents, which in turn lead to lower resistive losses in the transmission lines. This is why step-up transformers are used for long-distance power transmission. However, the efficiency of the overall system also depends on other factors such as the quality of the transformer and the distance of the transmission lines.