Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis is available online

In summary, Stephen Hawking has made his doctoral thesis available online through Cambridge University's open repository. This has caused high demand, resulting in the Cambridge servers crashing. All Cambridge graduates will now be required to offer digital copies of their theses, and are encouraged to make them public. Hawking's thesis includes a chapter on singularities, which he and Penrose had previously made assumptions about in their work together. It is unclear if these assumptions are mentioned in his thesis, and if not, why Hawking did not use them.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Stephen Hawking makes his doctoral thesis available online

Cambridge University said the paper was the "most-requested" work for its open repository, receiving "hundreds" of requests. It'll also help open the floodgates. All Cambridge graduates will have to offer digital copies of their theses from now on, and they're being encouraged to make them public.

Direct link to the paper:
Properties of expanding universes

Likes jedishrfu and Greg Bernhardt
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Is there a plain txt copy of the doctoral?
It's hard to study it this way..

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
nikospg said:
Is there a plain txt copy of the doctoral?
It's hard to study it this way..
Sorry, that makes no sense. 1) What is so difficult about reading a PDF copy? 2) How can there be a plain text version with diagrams?

Hello.

Today I've downloaded and taken a look at Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis in .pdf form.

https://www.repository.cam.ac.uk/handle/1810/251038

Chapter 4 deals with Singularities. (Page 96 of the reduced-size .pdf)

Through Peter Donis' help in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...l-collapse-and-cosmology.968323/#post-6153086 I discovered that when Hawking and Penrose were working together they made assumptions about the nature of the very early universe, calling these assumptions the energy conditions.

Now to my questions.

Are there any such assumptions (energy conditions) mentioned in this, Hawking's doctoral thesis, that relate to singularities?

If so, could I please be shown where they are?

If so, could their purpose please be explained to me, preferably at a Basic level?

If not, could it please be explained to me why Hawking did not use them?Many thanks in advance for any help given.Cerenkov.

1. What is Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis about?

Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis is titled "Properties of expanding universes" and discusses his work on the expanding universe model and the origins of the universe.

2. Why is Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis significant?

Hawking's doctoral thesis is significant because it was his first major scientific work and laid the foundation for his groundbreaking research in theoretical physics and cosmology.

3. Is Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis available to the public?

Yes, Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis has been made available to the public online by Cambridge University, where he completed his degree in 1966.

4. Can anyone access Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis online?

Yes, anyone with an internet connection can access Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis for free through the Cambridge University repository.

5. How can I use Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis for my own research?

You can use Stephen Hawking's doctoral thesis as a reference for your own research or to gain a better understanding of the theories and concepts he discusses in his work.