Stephen Hawking's Final Paper published

In summary, Stephen Hawking's final scientific paper was released posthumously on March 14, 2018 after his passing. Despite assumptions that he had retired from research, he continued to work until his last days. His ALS made communication with his graduate students difficult, which may have slowed down his research pace.
Physics news on Phys.org
A true scientist is never retired as long as he is alive.

BillTre said:
Hawking is no longer living.

He passed away on March 14, 2018.
The paper is a posthumous publication.

I know that,but he wrote the paper in his last days.

Yes I'd realized it was posthumous, I'd read in another thread here that he hadn't made a significant contribution (whatever that means) for a long time, and what with him becoming a celebrity I just thought he had stopped researching, it was good to see he hadn't.

Likes Hawkingo
cobalt124 said:
Yes I'd realized it was posthumous, I'd read in another thread here that he hadn't made a significant contribution (whatever that means) for a long time, and what with him becoming a celebrity I just thought he had stopped researching, it was good to see he hadn't.

From my understanding, his ALS was progressing to the point where communication with his grad students became extremely difficult and this is what slowed down his research pace.

1. What is the title of Stephen Hawking's final paper?

The title of Stephen Hawking's final paper is "Black Hole Entropy and Soft Hair".

2. When was the final paper published?

The final paper was published on October 10, 2018.

3. What is the significance of this final paper?

This final paper is significant because it was one of the last works published by the renowned physicist before his death in March 2018.

4. What is the main focus of the paper?

The main focus of the paper is on the information paradox, which is a contradiction between the laws of quantum mechanics and the laws of general relativity in relation to black holes.

5. What are some key findings or conclusions from the paper?

Some key findings from the paper include the concept of "soft hair" on the surface of black holes, which may hold information that was previously thought to be lost, and the idea that black holes may not be entirely "black" but may emit radiation and information over time.