Steps in designing a rocket

Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses building a 110kg sounding rocket that runs on APCP and the steps involved in its construction. The equations and parameters needed for designing the rocket are mentioned, including initial surface area, burn rate, fuel weight, exhaust gamma, burn temperature, pressure, diameter, and length. It is suggested to reach out to organizations like NAR for expert guidance and approval in building such a complex rocket.
squidie
110kg sounding rocket that runs on apcp
im trying to understand the steps to building this rocket what equations do i use to find nozzle parameters and estimated burn time etc. initial surface area for the fuel block is 5020cm^2
burn rate is .6 to 1.2mm a second fuel weight is 100kg gamma for exhaust gasses is 1.24 burn temperature is 4300 kelvin and pressure is 9 Mega pascals diameter is 16 cm length is 4 meters i know some physics but have trouble finding the right equations online

Physics news on Phys.org
squidie said:
I'm trying to understand the steps to building this rocket...
You're posting from the US so the first step is to reach out to NAR (nar.org).

Nugatory said:
You're posting from the US so the first step is to reach out to NAR (nar.org).

I'm still in the design phase but I will eventually do a rocket that needs to be approved

squidie said:
I'm still in the design phase but I will eventually do a rocket that needs to be approved
You don't need NAR or equivalent for approval, you need them because that's where you'll find people with the expertise and experience that you're looking for. A 110 kg liquid-fueled rocket is not something that gets designed in isolation.

Likes berkeman and hsdrop
Nugatory said:
You don't need NAR or equivalent for approval, you need them because that's where you'll find people with the expertise and experience that you're looking for. A 110 kg liquid-fueled rocket is not something that gets designed in isolation.

Oh cool

1. What are the basic steps in designing a rocket?

The basic steps in designing a rocket include: conducting research and analysis, establishing design requirements, creating a preliminary design, conducting simulations and tests, and making necessary modifications based on results.

2. How do engineers determine the size and shape of a rocket?

Engineers determine the size and shape of a rocket by taking into account factors such as payload weight, desired trajectory, and propellant type. They also use mathematical models and simulations to optimize the design.

3. What are the key components of a rocket design?

The key components of a rocket design include the rocket body or airframe, engine or propulsion system, payload, guidance system, and control system. Other components may include fins, fuel tanks, and electronics.

4. How do engineers ensure the safety of a rocket design?

Engineers ensure the safety of a rocket design by conducting thorough testing and analysis, following strict design protocols and regulations, and implementing redundancy systems. They also consider potential failure modes and design for maximum safety.

5. How long does it take to design a rocket?

The time it takes to design a rocket can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the resources available. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years to design a rocket and bring it to launch readiness.