Stereoscopic Images and Distance Between Objects

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of stereoscopic cameras to measure distances to objects in images. The question arises of whether it is possible to determine the distance between two objects in the same stereoscopic image. The solution involves using the Cosine Rule and calibrating the imaging system for known angles and distances. It is also mentioned that parallax can be used to measure object-object distances, but with potential projection errors.
Simcha
Hello Experts,

I leaned that using a sterescopic cameras (generates 2 photos) one can measure the distance to any object in the image produced by the camera.

For example, if I take a picture of a lamp post using a stereoscopic method, I can determine the Distance from the camera to the lamp post.

My question is as follows:
If I take a picture of two objects: object1 and object2 - BOTH of them in the SAME stereoscopic image(s). I can therefore determine the distance from the camera to object1 and distance from camera to object2.

Is there a way for me to get the distance FROM object1 to object2?

We can look at the problem in the following way: I have an origin - my camera. I have 2 points in space - to which I know the distances. This produces a triangle. In order for me to figure out the entire triangle I need 2 sides and one angle.

How do I get the angle between my object1 and object2 from the perspective of the camera? (my 3 points are camera, xyz of object1, and xyz of object2).

Physics news on Phys.org
This is difficult without a diagram to work from but, if you know the distances from the camera and if you can tell the angle subtended between the images*, you would have a triangle with two known side lengths and the angle between. That sounds to me like you could use the Cosine Rule.

*To find the angle subtended, you could calibrate your imagining system, for a number of known angles and the separation of points relative to the whole width of the image. You might need to test for barrel or pincushion distortion (pictures of a square grid) if accuracy is very important and calibrate at different points in the whole field.
[Edit: If the focal length of the lens is known and the actual size of the image sensor is known, you could work out the angle directly but That could be difficult where the object distance is short because camera lenses are not a single, flat lens and I don't know how to work out the actual geometry - easier to calibrate with known distances and angles. I think.

Simcha said:
<snip>

Is there a way for me to get the distance FROM object1 to object2?

We can look at the problem in the following way: I have an origin - my camera. I have 2 points in space - to which I know the distances. This produces a triangle. In order for me to figure out the entire triangle I need 2 sides and one angle.

How do I get the angle between my object1 and object2 from the perspective of the camera? (my 3 points are camera, xyz of object1, and xyz of object2).

My understanding of this type of analysis involves measurement of 'parallax':

http://www.crssa.rutgers.edu/courses/airphoto/airphoto7_files/frame.htm

Not sure if you can obtain object-object distances, tho. My guess is that you can as long as you are able to account for projection errors.

1. What are stereoscopic images?

Stereoscopic images are images that are created using two slightly different perspectives of the same scene. These images are meant to mimic the way our eyes see the world, with each eye receiving a slightly different view. When these images are viewed together, they create the illusion of depth, making objects appear closer or farther away.

2. How do stereoscopic images work?

Stereoscopic images work by presenting slightly different images to each eye. This is achieved through the use of specialized glasses or other viewing devices, such as a stereoscope. The brain combines these two images to create the perception of depth and distance between objects.

3. What is the distance between objects in stereoscopic images?

The distance between objects in stereoscopic images can vary, as it depends on the specific technique used to create the image. In general, the distance between objects is simulated based on the distance between the two camera lenses or viewpoints used to capture the image. The closer the lenses are, the greater the perceived distance between objects in the image.

4. How do stereoscopic images affect depth perception?

Stereoscopic images can enhance depth perception by creating the illusion of three-dimensional space. This can help viewers better understand the spatial relationships between objects in the image and can make the image appear more realistic.

5. What are some practical applications of stereoscopic images?

Stereoscopic images have many practical applications, including in the fields of medicine, engineering, and entertainment. In medicine, they can be used for 3D imaging and surgical planning. In engineering, they can aid in visualizing and designing complex structures. In entertainment, they are commonly used in movies and video games to create a more immersive experience for viewers.