Identifying the length of the object on the image

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the length of a black ship in an image, taking into account perspective and angles. It is suggested to use the ratio of the ship's length to the length of the text on the ship in the image as a reference. It is also mentioned that the resolution of the image and identifying draft markings on the barge can potentially help with scaling. However, the issue of using objects for scale in long distance photography is also mentioned, as the distance of the objects in the image cannot be accurately determined.
Erol2
Hello

First of all, I was told this is a physics problem. If it's incorrect, I apologize.

I have an image

photo.jpg

I want to know the length of the black ship (the ship which is carrying a ship). Let's assume that I know the length of the text on the ship (I have a reference object).

Is this related with camera lenses? How is object becoming smaller on the image (bigger distance) and at what rate is the size decreasing? I was doing some tests and it seemed to me that it's not decreasing by some constant. I understand that it's related with angles (bigger angle means that the end of the object with be the furthest and the smallest on the image).

Can somebody please help and give me the right directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ship is far away compared to its size. I would ignore perspective and assume the (length of ship)/(length of text) ratio in the image (along the visible side - taking into account edges in some way) is the same as for the actual ship.

If you have a higher resolution image (the original?), you may be able to identify the draft (depth) markings on the barge and use that to scale the length of the barge.

For long distance photography with a lot of zoom, perspective issues mean you can't use an object for scale that isn't the same distance as what you are trying to measure. By that I mean you have no way of knowing how close the people are to the barge, so you can't use them for scale.

Likes davenn

1. How do you accurately measure the length of an object on an image?

To accurately measure the length of an object on an image, you will need to know the scale or reference points in the image. This can be done by using a ruler or a known distance in the image, such as a scale bar. Then, using image analysis software or a formula, you can determine the length of the object in pixels and convert it to a real-world measurement.

2. Can you measure the length of an object on an image without a scale or reference points?

No, it is not possible to accurately measure the length of an object on an image without a scale or reference points. Without a known distance, the size of the object in pixels cannot be converted to a real-world measurement.

3. Which image analysis software is best for measuring object lengths?

There are several image analysis software options available, each with their own strengths and capabilities. Some popular choices for measuring object lengths include ImageJ, Fiji, and Adobe Photoshop. It is important to choose a software that is suitable for your specific needs and skill level.

4. Can you measure the length of an object on a 3D image?

Yes, it is possible to measure the length of an object on a 3D image. This can be done by using specialized 3D image analysis software or by taking multiple 2D measurements and combining them to get a 3D measurement.

5. How accurate are length measurements on images?

The accuracy of length measurements on images depends on several factors, such as the quality of the image, the scale or reference points used, and the precision of the measurement tool or software. With proper techniques and equipment, length measurements on images can be quite accurate, but there may still be some margin of error.