Stirling Approximation for a thermodynamic system

In summary, the homework statement is that the stirling approximation, J! = √JJ+1/2e-J, is very handy when dealing with numbers larger than about 100. Consider the following ratio: the number of ways N particles can be evenly divided between two halves of a room to the number of ways they can be divided with 60% on the right and 40% on the left. a. Show using the stirling approximation that the ratio is approximately (0.40.40.60.6/5)n. Homework equation N!/NR!(N - NR)! J! = √JJ+1/2e-J The Attempt at a Solution So i figured out the ratio to be
Demroz

Homework Statement

The stirling approximation, J! = √JJ+1/2e-J, is very handy when dealing with numbers larger than about 100. consider the following ratio: the number of ways N particles can be evenly divided between two halves of a room to the number of ways they can be divided with 60% on the right and 40% on the left.

a. Show using the stirling approximation that the ratio is approximately (0.40.40.60.6/5)n

Homework Equations

N!/NR!(N - NR)!

J! = √JJ+1/2e-J

The Attempt at a Solution

So i figured out the ratio to be
(0.5n)!(0.4n)!/(0.5n)!

Then by using the stirling approximation I get

0.6n0.6n+1/20.4n0.4n+1/2 / 0.25nn+1

all of my attempts so far have given me that answer which simplifies to 24/25. can you guys point me in the right direction/show me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Demroz said:
J! = √JJ+1/2e-J
No, it's ##J^Je^{-J}\sqrt{2\pi J}##. For the present problem the ##2\pi## doesn't matter since it will cancel, but the square root you have at the front is definitely wrong.
Demroz said:
So i figured out the ratio to be
(0.5n)!(0.4n)!/(0.5n)!
A typo in there?
Demroz said:
0.6n0.6n+1/20.4n0.4n+1/2 / 0.25nn+1
Not exactly sure what you mean by that since you've left out all the parentheses, but the 0.25 looks wrong. Please post your working, including all necessary parentheses.

Sorry about that, I screwed up a lot of things in typing it out

JJ+0.5e-J√2pi

My work

probability for a 50/50 distribution is

(N!)/((0.5N)!(0.5N)!)

probability for a 40/60 distribution

(N!)/((0.4N)!(0.6N)!)

when you divide 50/50 over 40/60 you get

((0.4N)!(0.6N)!)/((0.5N)!)2

So when I plug into the stirling approximation (I reworked it from the previous attempt)

((0.4n0.4n)(0.6n0.6n))/((2-n-1)(nn+1))

Which I was able to simplify to:

(0.40.4n0.60.6n)(2n+1)(n-n)

I have no idea where to go from here

Demroz said:
((0.4N)!(0.6N)!)/((0.5N)!)2
Agreed.
So when I plug into the stirling approximation (I reworked it from the previous attempt)

((0.4n0.4n)(0.6n0.6n))/((2-n-1)(nn+1))
That's not what I get. Please post all your working.
Demroz said:
I have no idea where to go from here
You can see from the question what form is required. After correcting the algebra so far, can you find a way to extract the n exponent to be outside as in the desired answer:
(0.40.40.60.6/5)n
You will find there is a constant factor that the n exponent does not apply to, but for these sorts of questions you don't have to worry about that. It's the asymptotic form that matters. E.g. 0.1n may be considered an approximation to 1000*0.1n for large n.
But btw, that answer is incorrect. It should be (0.40.40.60.6/0.5)n

I found what I did wrong, thank you very much for the help. It was a simple algebra mistake when distributing exponents

1. What is the Stirling Approximation?

The Stirling Approximation is a mathematical tool used in thermodynamics to approximate the behavior of a system near equilibrium. It is based on the Stirling formula, which is an asymptotic expansion of the natural logarithm function.

2. How does the Stirling Approximation relate to thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the Stirling Approximation is used to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable by approximating them with simpler expressions. It is particularly useful when dealing with systems near equilibrium, where the Stirling Approximation can provide accurate results.

3. What are the limitations of the Stirling Approximation?

The Stirling Approximation is only valid for systems that are close to equilibrium and have large numbers of particles. It also assumes that the particles in the system are non-interacting, which may not always be the case.

4. How is the Stirling Approximation derived?

The Stirling Approximation is derived from the Stirling formula, which is a mathematical expansion of the natural logarithm function. This formula is then applied to the thermodynamic equations to simplify them and make them more manageable.

5. What are the practical applications of the Stirling Approximation?

The Stirling Approximation is used in various fields, including thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in calculating the properties of gases and can also be applied to other physical systems, such as black holes and Bose-Einstein condensates.