Stirling Engine Help for High School Engineering Project

In summary, the conversation is about designing a stirling engine for a high school engineering project and the need for more information on them. The individual has searched online for resources, including websites and videos, but is looking for more in-depth information and possibly a knowledgeable person to provide feedback on their designs. They are also given suggestions for search terms and resources specific to education needs. The conversation also includes advice on making a Gamma engine and the importance of minimizing friction and leaks in stirling engines.
TyChi
I'm designing a stirling engine for a high school engineering project. I need to know more information about them though before I start machining out the parts. I looked at Wikipedia and a few other sites, but I need something a little more in depth. I'm looking for a good stirling engine book or perhaps a the contact info of a knowledgeable person who is willing to check out my designs and critique them or any other info related to stirling engines that could be helpful. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As it happens they are easy to make and there are a lot of sites providing schematics and notes ... did you google for "how to build a stirling engine"? There are even videos.

I had a look for projects specific to education needs:
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Make-a-Stirling-Engine.htm

"test tube stirling engine" is another excellent search term

of note:
http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCStirlingModels.htm
... have a look at Aphonse Vassalo's (scroll down) - he has a lot of different designs.

But what would help you most is probably a report from someone doing the same thing you are:
http://du-in.academia.edu/SahajUman...ling_Engine_and_Analyze_its_Intricate_Working

I suggest you make a Gamma engine. Displacer in one cylinder and piston in another.
Its a simple layout- therefore easier to make
Do not try to innovate on your first engine. Copy something. When you have got that working you will have learned a lot. Then innovate.
Make the swept volume of the displacer twice the volume of the stroke of the piston
Then there is a good chance that the heat will be able to push the piston
Go to Airpot.com and ask for a free sample dashpot.
This is an excellent pyrex cylinder with a superbly fitted graphite cylinder
The secret of Stirling engines is keeping the friction down - and freedom from leaks
Have fun

1. What is a Stirling engine?

A Stirling engine is a type of heat engine that operates by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas at different temperatures. It was invented in 1816 by Robert Stirling and is known for its high efficiency and ability to run on any heat source.

2. How does a Stirling engine work?

A Stirling engine works by using the expansion and contraction of a gas, typically air, to drive a piston. The engine has two pistons, one hot and one cold, that are connected by a regenerator. When the hot piston is exposed to heat, the air inside expands and pushes the piston up. This forces the air into the cold piston, where it condenses and contracts, causing the cold piston to move down. This cycle repeats, creating mechanical energy.

3. What are the applications of a Stirling engine?

Stirling engines have a variety of applications, including power generation, heating and cooling, and aerospace propulsion. They are also commonly used in solar power systems and as backup generators. In recent years, Stirling engines have also been used in hybrid electric vehicles and micro combined heat and power systems.

4. What materials are needed to build a Stirling engine?

The materials needed to build a Stirling engine may vary depending on the design and complexity of the engine. However, some common materials include aluminum or steel for the pistons and cylinders, a regenerator made of wire mesh or ceramic materials, and a heat source such as a candle or alcohol burner. Other materials may include tubing, bearings, and a flywheel for stability.

5. Can a Stirling engine be used as a renewable energy source?

Yes, a Stirling engine can be used as a renewable energy source. It can run on a variety of heat sources, including solar energy, biomass, and geothermal energy. Additionally, Stirling engines have a high efficiency rate and produce lower emissions compared to traditional combustion engines, making them a more environmentally friendly choice for renewable energy production.