Stirling-type cooler (Air liquefaction)

• Thread starter Absentee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooler
In summary, the conversation discusses the operation of a Stirling engine and its ability to produce low temperatures. The engine works similar to a refrigeration cycle, transferring heat from a "hot side" to a "cold side" using a working fluid and pressurizing it. The article provided gives a detailed explanation of how a Stirling engine works. The conversation also mentions the reversed Stirling engine and how it achieves low temperature by continuously transferring heat from one side to the other until a temperature difference is generated.
Absentee
Hello. I'm currently studying air liquefaction processes and I've come to Stirling-type cooler.
With Linde, Claude, Heylandt and Kapitza cycles I find it very intuitive to get air cooled with throttling / expansion processes since they lower the temperature of incoming gas, but I am failing to understand how does a Stirling engine produce low temperature.
I understand the basics of Stirling cycle and It's operation between Thigh and Tlow, but at the start of the operation (let's say from the moment of turning on the engine), how does a Stirling engine achieve It's low temperature?

Is it right to conclude that both "air liquefaction chamber" and surroundings are at same temperature at the start of operation and Stirling engine keeps on "taking heat" from the "air liquefaction chamber" and dumping it to the surroundings until the temperature difference occurs?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally speaking a Stirling engine is similar to a refrigeration cycle. Heat is transferred from a "hot side" to a "cold side" using a working fluid and pressurizing the working fluid.

I find this article to be pretty well laid out regarding operation of a Stirling engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

Mech_Engineer said:
Generally speaking a Stirling engine is similar to a refrigeration cycle. Heat is transferred from a "hot side" to a "cold side" using a working fluid and pressurizing the working fluid.

I find this article to be pretty well laid out regarding operation of a Stirling engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

Let's say that with regular "power-producing" Stirling engine, process starts with putting a candle on one side and leaving the other side open to the room temperature. Temperature difference drives the engine.

But I was wondering how does a reversed Stirling engine achieve low temperature? At the beginning of the operation both sides are open to the room temperature and continuous transfer of the heat from one side to the other side generates a temperature difference after some time. Is this correct?

1. What is a Stirling-type cooler?

A Stirling-type cooler is a type of refrigeration system that uses the Stirling cycle to produce cold temperatures. It operates by compressing and expanding a gas, typically helium, to create a temperature difference between two chambers.

2. How does a Stirling-type cooler work?

A Stirling-type cooler works by using a piston and displacer to compress and expand a gas, typically helium. The compressed gas is then cooled in one chamber and expanded in another, creating a temperature difference. This temperature difference is used to cool the desired object or space.

3. What are the advantages of using a Stirling-type cooler?

Some advantages of using a Stirling-type cooler include its high efficiency, low noise level, and lack of refrigerant chemicals. It also has a long lifespan and can operate in a wide range of temperatures, making it suitable for various applications.

4. What are the applications of a Stirling-type cooler?

A Stirling-type cooler is commonly used in cryogenics, medical equipment, and cooling systems for electronics. It is also used in air liquefaction, which is the process of converting air into liquid form for various purposes such as medical oxygen production and rocket propellants.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Stirling-type cooler?

One limitation of using a Stirling-type cooler is its high initial cost compared to other types of refrigeration systems. It also has a lower cooling capacity compared to other methods. Additionally, it requires precise engineering and manufacturing, which can make it more challenging to produce on a large scale.