Stochastic Calculus: Conditional Expectation

In summary, your careless mistakes have prevented you from getting the correct answer for the product of three independent random variables.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Homework Statement
Suppose ##X_1,X_2 \dots ## are independent random variables with ##\mathbb{P}[X_j= 1] =1- \mathbb{P}[X_j=-1]=\frac13## Let ## S_n = X_1 +\dots +X_n## Find ## \mathbb{E}[S_n], \mathbb{E}[S^2_n], \mathbb{E}[S^3_n]##
Relevant Equations
Not applicable
Are my following answers correct?
1677864912441.png

1677864978342.png

1677877283450.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the simple expedient of substituting some values of n and seeing if you get the right answer? Try n=1 to start.
You are making some careless mistakes
e.g. the expression for E(S2) should be n(1) + n(n-1)(1/9)
Your statement about the product of 3 random variables makes no sense; they are certainly not equal to zero. Each of the 3 random variables may independently take either of the values 1 or -1.

• Informative
Likes WMDhamnekar and WWGD
WMDhamnekar said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose ##X_1,X_2 \dots ## are independent random variables with ##\mathbb{P}[X_j= 1] =1- \mathbb{P}[X_j=-1]=\frac13## Let ## S_n = X_1 +\dots +X_n## Find ## \mathbb{E}[S_n], \mathbb{E}[S^2_n], \mathbb{E}[S^3_n]##
Relevant Equations:: Not applicable

Are my following answers correct?View attachment 323141
View attachment 323142
View attachment 323157
I agree with mjc -- hey, it rhymes!

You can't treat a multinomial ## ( X_1+X_2+....+X_n)^2## as a standard binomial ##( X_1+X_2)^2##. Look up multinomial coefficients.

mjc123 said:
Have you tried the simple expedient of substituting some values of n and seeing if you get the right answer? Try n=1 to start.
You are making some careless mistakes
e.g. the expression for E(S2) should be n(1) + n(n-1)(1/9)
Your statement about the product of 3 random variables makes no sense; they are certainly not equal to zero. Each of the 3 random variables may independently take either of the values 1 or -1.
So, taking into consideration your this reply, I correct my amswers as follows:
##\mathbb{E}[S_n]=-\displaystyle\frac{n}{3}, \mathbb{E}[S^2_n]= n +\displaystyle\frac{n(n-1)}{9}, \mathbb{E}[S^3_n ] = -\displaystyle\frac{n}{3}-\frac{n(n-1)}{2} -\displaystyle\frac{n(n-1)}{9}##

Now, are these above answers correct?

Last edited:
Correct answers are
1677954533684.png

No, they are not. The answer for E(Sn2) is wrong for n = 2, and that for E(Sn3) is wrong for n = 3.

The answer you gave in post #4 for E(Sn2) is right, but the answer for E(Sn3) is not. You didn't show your working, but I suspect the mistake may lie in enumerating the terms of different kinds.
There are n terms of the form Xi3, each of which has expectation -1/3.
There are 3n(n-1) terms of the form Xi2Xj, each of which has expectation -1/3*1.
There are n(n-1)(n-2) terms of the form XiXjXk, each of which has expectation -1/27.
(Check that the total number of terms is n3.)

Likes WMDhamnekar
Sorry to insist on this, but I suggest you check multinomial coefficients , to determine how to expand multinomials ##( x_1+x_2+...+x_k)^n##. I suspect the errors may be partially due to this.

Likes WMDhamnekar

What is stochastic calculus?

Stochastic calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random processes, also known as stochastic processes. It involves the use of calculus and probability theory to model and analyze systems that involve randomness.

What is conditional expectation?

Conditional expectation is a mathematical concept that represents the expected value of a random variable given certain information or conditions. It is denoted as E[X|Y], where X is the random variable and Y is the condition or information.

What is the role of stochastic calculus in finance?

Stochastic calculus is widely used in finance to model and analyze financial markets, as they are inherently stochastic in nature. It helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of financial assets and derivatives, and is an essential tool for risk management and portfolio optimization.

What is the difference between stochastic calculus and traditional calculus?

The main difference between stochastic calculus and traditional calculus is that stochastic calculus deals with random variables and processes, while traditional calculus deals with deterministic functions. Stochastic calculus also involves the use of probability theory, whereas traditional calculus does not.

What are the applications of stochastic calculus?

Stochastic calculus has a wide range of applications, including finance, economics, engineering, physics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze systems that involve randomness, such as financial markets, population dynamics, and signal processing. It is also used in the development of algorithms for machine learning and artificial intelligence.