Stokes Theorem paraboloid intersecting with cylinder

In summary: As far as I can tell, this should be the final answer:##\frac{128}{3}##Homework Statement Use stokes theorem to elaluate to integral \int\int_{s} curlF.dS where F(x,y,z)= x^2 z^2 i + y^2 z^2 j + xyz k and s is the part of the paraboliod z=x^2+ y^2 that lies inside the cylinder x^2 +y^2 =4 and is orientated upwardsHomework EquationsThe Attempt at a Solutionso i use Stokes theorem \int\int_{s} curlF.dS = \oint
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Use stokes theorem to elaluate to integral [itex] \int\int_{s} curlF.dS[/itex] where [itex] F(x,y,z)= x^2 z^2 i + y^2 z^2 j + xyz k [/itex] and s is the part of the paraboliod [itex]z=x^2+ y^2 [/itex] that lies inside the cylinder [itex] x^2 +y^2 =4 [/itex] and is orientated upwards

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i use Stokes theorem [itex] \int\int_{s} curlF.dS = \oint_{c} F.dv[/itex]

so i want to get parametric equations for C and so i get x=2cost y=2sint and z=4 i came up with these as the boundary curve c is a circle of raadius 2 and my z value of 4 because that is where the parabaloid and cylinder intersect...am i right in my thinking here?

so then dx= -2sintdt ; dy=2costdt and dz=0

so then i get [itex] \oint_{c} F.dv = \oint_{c} x^2 z^2 dx - y^2z^2 dy + xyzdz[/itex]

which becomes [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} ((4cos^2 t )(16)(-2sint) - (4sin^2t)(16)(ccost)) dt[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} ((-128cos^2 t )(sint) - (128sin^2 t)(cost)) dt[/itex]

am i working on the right lines here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whoops hold up a sec...not finished putting up my attempt, I am editing the post!

the origional post is complete now. anyone got any ideas?

anyone?

I think the last part is wrong and it should be:
##\int^{2\pi}_{0} (-128cos^2 t sint + 128sin^2 tcost) .dt##

Last edited:
gtfitzpatrick said:

Homework Statement

Use stokes theorem to elaluate to integral [itex] \int\int_{s} curlF.dS[/itex] where [itex] F(x,y,z)= x^2 z^2 i + y^2 z^2 j + xyz k [/itex] and s is the part of the paraboliod [itex]z=x^2+ y^2 [/itex] that lies inside the cylinder [itex] x^2 +y^2 =4 [/itex] and is orientated upwards

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i use Stokes theorem [itex] \int\int_{s} curlF.dS = \oint_{c} F.dv[/itex]

so i want to get parametric equations for C and so i get x=2cost y=2sint and z=4 i came up with these as the boundary curve c is a circle of raadius 2 and my z value of 4 because that is where the parabaloid and cylinder intersect...am i right in my thinking here?

so then dx= -2sintdt ; dy=2costdt and dz=0

so then i get [itex] \oint_{c} F.dv = \oint_{c} x^2 z^2 dx - y^2z^2 dy + xyzdz[/itex]

Check that - sign.

which becomes [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} ((4cos^2 t )(16)(-2sint) - (4sin^2t)(16)(ccost)) dt[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} ((-128cos^2 t )(sint) - (128sin^2 t)(cost)) dt[/itex]

am i working on the right lines here?

Looks good except for that minus sign.

The integration can be tricky but there is a simple trick to it. Let us know how it goes.

However, i have a question myself, since I'm still learning. I suppose it is OK for me to ask here? What if the orientation of the surface S was downwards? Then, how would the calculations from post #1 change?

Last edited:
Hi LCkurtz and Sharks
Thanks a million for comments.

To integrate i used substitution u=cost du=-sintdt and similar for sin.

as in [itex]\int cos^2 t sint =\frac{1}{3} cos^3 t[/itex] i think this works

so i get [itex]\frac{128}{3} (cos^3 t + sin^3 t)^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

=-[itex]\frac{128}{3}[/itex] i hope :)

Last edited:
sharks said:
However, i have a question myself, since I'm still learning. I suppose it is OK for me to ask here? What if the orientation of the surface S was downwards? Then, how would the calculations from post #1 change?

i'm afraid i haven't a clue, sorry!

But isn't the whole integral this:
##\int^{2\pi}_{0} (-128cos^2 t sint + 128sin^2 tcost) .dt##
Then, it would become:
##\int^{2\pi}_{0} (-128cos^2 t sint).dt + \int^{2\pi}_{0} (128sin^2 tcost).dt##

sharks said:
The integration can be tricky but there is a simple trick to it. Let us know how it goes.

I was tempted in my original post to ask the OP if he had thought about the orientation or whether he just took a guess. You use the right hand rule. In this case the normal was pointed upwards, so the right hand rule would give you counterclockwise in the xy plane as viewed from above which gives ##t:\, 0\rightarrow 2\pi##. For downward orientation you go the other way around the circle which could be ##t:\, 2\pi\rightarrow 0##. The effect is to change the sign of the answer.

LCKurtz said:
I was tempted in my original post to ask the OP if he had thought about the orientation or whether he just took a guess. You use the right hand rule. In this case the normal was pointed upwards, so the right hand rule would give you counterclockwise in the xy plane as viewed from above which gives ##t:\, 0\rightarrow 2\pi##. For downward orientation you go the other way around the circle which could be ##t:\, 2\pi\rightarrow 0##. The effect is to change the sign of the answer.

Thank you for this quick and accurate answer, LCKurtz.

sharks said:
Then, it would become:
##\int^{2\pi}_{0} (-128cos^2 t sint).dt + \int^{2\pi}_{0} (128sin^2 tcost).dt##

[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} (-128cos^2 t sint)dt + \int^{2\pi}_{0} (128sin^2 t cost)dt[/itex]

=128[[itex]\frac{1}{3} cos^3 t ]^{2\pi}_{0} + 128[\frac{1}{3} sin^3 t ]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{128}{3}[-1] = \frac{-128}{3} [/itex]

LCKurtz said:

ahhh thanks a million i had wondered about that alright. that cleared it up. thanks a million.

gtfitzpatrick said:
[itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} (-128cos^2 t sint)dt + \int^{2\pi}_{0} (128sin^2 t cost)dt[/itex]

=128[[itex]\frac{1}{3} cos^3 t ]^{2\pi}_{0} + 128[\frac{1}{3} sin^3 t ]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex]

I don't think the evaluation part is correct.

gtfitzpatrick said:

whoops should be [itex]\frac{128}{3}[1-1] = 0 [/itex]

Thanks a million sharks! your brill! :smile:

1. What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary of that surface.

2. How does Stokes Theorem apply to a paraboloid intersecting with a cylinder?

In this case, Stokes Theorem can be used to calculate the flux of a vector field across the surface formed by the intersection of the paraboloid and cylinder. This can be done by calculating the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface.

3. What is the formula for calculating the line integral in this scenario?

The formula for calculating the line integral in this scenario is ∫C F · dr = ∫ab F(x,y,z) · dr(t)

4. How is the surface integral calculated in this case?

The surface integral can be calculated by using the formula ∫∫S curl(F) · dS, where S is the surface formed by the intersection of the paraboloid and cylinder, and curl(F) is the curl of the vector field.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stokes Theorem for a paraboloid intersecting with a cylinder?

Stokes Theorem has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flow of fluids through complex surfaces or calculating the circulation of a vector field around a closed path. It can also be used in computer graphics to calculate the flux of light through curved surfaces.