Stopping Distance: Calculate from 108km/h with ½ V x t

In summary, the maximum straight-line deceleration of a racing car is 5 m s-2 and the minimum stopping distance from a velocity of 108 km h-1 is 90 meters. The formula used to determine the stopping distance is ½ V x t, where V is the initial velocity and t is the time. However, the correct formula for this scenario is vf2 = vo2 + 2 a Δx, where vf is the final velocity, vo is the initial velocity, a is the deceleration, and Δx is the change in position. The units for t should be in seconds, not meters per second per second.
Travian

Homework Statement

The maximum straight-line deceleration of a racing car under braking is 5 m s-2. What is the minimum stopping distance of the car from a velocity of 108 km h-1?

Homework Equations

½ V x t

The Attempt at a Solution

V = 108km/h=30m/s

t = 30/ 5 = 6 m s-2

½ V x t = ½ x 30 x 6 = 90

Answer: Distance = 90 m

I found this formula ½ V x t (to determine stopping distance) on the internet, but I am not sure if its correct.

Are there any mistakes?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like your formula for distance is the average distance traveled in a given time for an object moving at constant speed. I would Instead try the formula:
vf 2 = vo 2 + 2 a [tex]\Delta[/tex] x

Note that you are decelerating so the plus in front of the 2 is actually a minus here.

Last edited:
so: vf = 30 m/s -2 x 5 m/s...
what is this delta x? sorry, haven't slept this night at all, feeling a bit dizzy now:/

Sorry, delta x here stands for the change in position of the car.

Basically, how far it goes in stopping.

Edit: Sorry I'm without a calculator so I hadn't noticed but this gives the same answer you already had.

90 meters?

Yes, 90 meters. Aside from the units in your 't', everything seems to be in order.

Thank you.

By the way, what's wrong with t?

Units: I'm a little mixed up by your scheme but it looks like you have t (time) in meters per second per second, instead of just seconds.

Oh seriously... I fixed that. Thanks again:)

1. What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance is the distance traveled by a vehicle from the moment the brakes are applied to when the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

2. How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance can be calculated by using the formula: stopping distance = initial velocity x reaction time + (1/2 x acceleration x reaction time^2). This takes into account the initial speed of the vehicle, the driver's reaction time, and the deceleration of the vehicle.

3. What is the significance of using 108km/h as the initial velocity?

108km/h is often used as the initial velocity in stopping distance calculations as it is a common speed limit on highways and is a good representation of the average speed of vehicles on the road.

4. Why is reaction time included in the stopping distance formula?

Reaction time is included in the formula because it takes a certain amount of time for a driver to perceive a danger and to react by applying the brakes. This time adds to the overall stopping distance of the vehicle.

5. How does the stopping distance change with different initial velocities?

The stopping distance increases as the initial velocity increases. This is because the higher the initial speed, the longer it takes for the vehicle to come to a complete stop due to the greater momentum and kinetic energy that needs to be overcome.