Strange Nucleation Sites Inside a Diet Pepsi Bottle?

In summary, the conversation discussed the presence of odd nucleation points in the top area of a bottle of Diet Pepsi. These points are only seen on the 1.25 liter bottles and appear as soon as the bottle is opened or after the first drink. The cause of these points is unknown, but they may be a side effect of the bottle production process. These points are able to draw out carbon dioxide from the diet Pepsi, similar to mentos, but at a much slower rate. The concept of nucleation sites was discussed, with the conclusion that these points may be related to surface properties such as pores, bumps, or differences in hydrophilicity or crystallographic defects. This information is consistent with the theory proposed.
GraphicNerdity333
I have found some odd Nucleation points that appear inside of the top area of a bottle of Diet Pepsi (the area right near the cap as shown in pictures below).
Snapchat-1697212459.jpg
The nucleation sites appear either as soon as you open the bottle, or after the first drink (I will test this once more and see exactly when it happens and will update this thread). I have only seen this on the 1.25 liter bottles, but have not looked specifically for them on the regular bottles or the 1 liter bottles. I have not tested this with regular Pepsi, but only diet at the moment. Further testing will ensue, and this thread will remain updated. My questions are: what causes these Nucleation sites? Are these put in by the manufacturer (and if so, what purpose do they serve)? What exactly are they (scratches, tiny irregularities, dust, saliva, etc.)? Why do they only appear near the top, while the rest of the bottle does not have them(as shown below)?
Snapchat-1697212459.jpg
Snapchat-548894044.jpg
Snapchat-49386621.jpg
Are they even nucleation sites (I assume they are because of the way the diet Pepsi is able to stick to them, and the way they cause the diet Pepsi to release small amounts of carbon), or am I misinterpreting what I am seeing? Any and all answers would be helpful.

Attachments

• Snapchat-548894044.jpg
    Snapchat-548894044.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 706
  • Snapchat-1697212459.jpg
    Snapchat-1697212459.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Snapchat-49386621.jpg
    Snapchat-49386621.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 606
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do I understand you correctly that by "nucleation sites" you mean places where the droplets of the liquid stay on the internal surface of bottle?

I am not sure I would not call them "nucleation sites" as IMHO nucleation typically refers to the phase transition process and there is no phase transition here, you start with a liquid and the liquid is present all the time. Then, there is kind of resemblance of what is happening to the nucleation processes, apparently plastic surface is not homogeneous.

My bet is that it is some side effect of the bottle production process. Most likely these inhomogeneities are initially present on the whole surface, but whatever causes them gets dissolved in the Pepsi.

Borek said:
Do I understand you correctly that by "nucleation sites" you mean places where the droplets of the liquid stay on the internal surface of bottle?

I am not sure I would not call them "nucleation sites" as IMHO nucleation typically refers to the phase transition process and there is no phase transition here, you start with a liquid and the liquid is present all the time. Then, there is kind of resemblance of what is happening to the nucleation processes, apparently plastic surface is not homogeneous.

My bet is that it is some side effect of the bottle production process. Most likely these inhomogeneities are initially present on the whole surface, but whatever causes them gets dissolved in the Pepsi.

That makes a lot of sense to me. The reason I thought of them as Nucleation points is because they are able to draw the carbon dioxide out of the diet Pepsi (much like mentos but at a much much MUCH slower rate. I tried to include a video of this, but could not) when the diet Pepsi is in contact with them. I had heard that the surface of mentos were covered in tiny pores that acted as Nucleation sites. Would this new information still be consistent with your theory?

As I wrote - what you observe is in a way related to the processes in which we use the name "nucleation site", so the analogy is OK, I just don't think I have ever seen the name "nucleation sites" used in such a context.

Actually it is not just pores that are important, it is more about places where some surface property is discontinuous. It can be a difference in curvature (pores and bumps), it can be a difference in hydrophilicicty or hydrophobicity, it can even be something as small as crystallographic defect. Not every such place will serve as a nucleation site, some will behave as "antinucleation sites".

GraphicNerdity333 said:
Would this new information still be consistent with your theory?

Yes, it is all perfectly consistent.

1. What are nucleation sites and how do they form in a Diet Pepsi bottle?

Nucleation sites are tiny imperfections or particles on the surface of a material that act as the starting point for the formation of gas bubbles. In the case of a Diet Pepsi bottle, these sites can form due to scratches or roughness on the inside of the bottle or impurities in the liquid.

2. Why do nucleation sites form in Diet Pepsi specifically?

Diet Pepsi contains carbon dioxide gas that is dissolved in the liquid under pressure. When the bottle is opened, the pressure is released and the gas comes out of solution, forming bubbles. The presence of nucleation sites provides a surface for the gas bubbles to form and rise to the top of the liquid.

3. Can nucleation sites affect the taste or quality of the Diet Pepsi?

No, nucleation sites do not have any impact on the taste or quality of the Diet Pepsi. They are simply a natural occurrence in carbonated beverages.

4. Are there any health risks associated with consuming Diet Pepsi with nucleation sites?

No, there are no known health risks associated with consuming Diet Pepsi with nucleation sites. The bubbles formed by the nucleation sites are simply carbon dioxide gas, which is already present in the beverage.

5. Is there a way to prevent or remove nucleation sites from forming in Diet Pepsi bottles?

It is not possible to prevent or remove nucleation sites from forming in Diet Pepsi bottles. These sites are a natural occurrence and do not affect the safety or quality of the beverage. However, storing the bottle upright and avoiding rough handling may help reduce the number of nucleation sites that form.