Strap Restricting Keyboard Rotation on Compaq CQ71-401SA Laptop: How to Remove?

• Thread starter Jobrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Keyboard
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of removing the keyboard on a Compaq CQ71-401SA laptop in order to replace the cooling fan. The manuals and forums found online do not mention a silver strap that restricts the rotation of the keyboard. The person is seeking help from others who may have encountered a similar problem.
Jobrag
I'm trying to replace the cooling fan on a Compaq CQ71-401SA laptop, but have run into a problem with the keyboard removal. All the manuals that I've found online say that, having removed the relevant screws, I should rotate the keyboard and it will come free from the laptop body, my problem is there is a silver strap connected to the keyboard under the bottom left hand and to the body of the machine across about one or two inches, the strap is very tight and restricts the rotation of the board to about 40 degrees. It is defintly not a ribbon cable, it looks as if it might be some kind of heat conducting material. None of the manuals or forums that I've found show this strap and I cannot see anyway to remove it short of cutting it off. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Useful?
cq71

cq61

Last edited by a moderator:
Robphy
Thanks for the effort but none of these address my problem of the strap that limits the rotation of the keyboard.

1. What type of keyboard does the Compaq CQ71-401SA have?

The Compaq CQ71-401SA has a standard QWERTY keyboard with a numeric keypad.

2. Is the keyboard backlit?

No, the Compaq CQ71-401SA keyboard is not backlit.

3. Can the keyboard be removed for cleaning or replacement?

Yes, the keyboard on the Compaq CQ71-401SA can be removed for cleaning or replacement. However, it is recommended to seek professional assistance for removal and replacement to avoid damaging the device.

4. Is the keyboard spill-resistant?

The Compaq CQ71-401SA keyboard is not specifically designed to be spill-resistant, but it does have a water-resistant coating that can help protect it from minor spills. It is still important to avoid spilling liquids on the keyboard as much as possible.

5. Are there any special features on the Compaq CQ71-401SA keyboard?

The Compaq CQ71-401SA keyboard does not have any special features, but it does have a multimedia function key that allows users to control media playback and volume with one touch.