Strength of magnetic field at the end of a wire wrapped nail.

In summary, The equation V=I*R can be used to find the value of current (I) when given voltage (V) and resistance (R). In this conversation, we also discussed how to calculate the magnetic field at the end of a double-wrapped coil using the equation B=100*(uo)(2N)(I)/L * 1/2, where uo is a constant and N and L are the number of turns and length of the coil. We also determined that the magnetic field at the end of the coil is 1/2 of what it is at the center.
kayneblue12
Homework Statement
You want to make an electromagnet to show your friend’s kids. You have:
-Wire 2mm thick. Wire resistance 0.6Ω total
-A nail (made of mild steel)
-A battery, ∆V = 6V, with internal resistance 0.9Ω (i.e., the battery acts like a voltage source in series with a 0.9 Ω resistor.)
-You wrap the wire around the nail as tightly as you can... figure out how closely spaced the wraps will be.
-You wrap two layers (i.e., there are 2X as many wraps)
-The nail is ferromagnetic, and increases the magnetic field you get by 100X (i.e., 100X stronger than it would be if all you had was a wire coil with no nail...)
-You connect the battery to the wire around the nail and current then flows.
Figure out how strong the magnetic field you get at the end of the nail will be.
Relevant Equations
V=IR, magnetic field of solenoid B=(u0)*N*I/L ,
V=I*R
6v=I*(0.6+0.9)ohms
I=4amp
B=100*(uo)(2N)(I)/L * 1/2 I think since the wire is double wrapped, we multiply the equation by 2, but since we are looking for the magnetic field at the end of the wire we also have to multiply the equation by 1/2
I=4A, uo= 4pi*10^-7
2N/L turns per unit length, so if we have 1 turn double wrapped, the height of that wire would be 2*10^-3m and 2N/L for the double wrapped coil would be 1000 turns/meter
if we plug it into the equation for magnetic field I would get B=100*(4pi*10^-7)(1000turns/meter)(4A) /2 = 0.25T
I'm not sure if this is correct though.

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the complete arithmetic, but it looks to be correct. And you do have it right that the magnetic field at the end of the long solenoid is 1/2 of what it is at the center.

Likes kayneblue12

What is the strength of the magnetic field at the end of a wire wrapped nail?

The strength of the magnetic field at the end of a wire wrapped nail depends on several factors such as the strength of the current flowing through the wire, the number of coils wrapped around the nail, and the material of the nail.

How does the strength of the current affect the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that the stronger the current flowing through the wire, the stronger the magnetic field at the end of the nail will be.

Does the number of coils wrapped around the nail affect the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the number of coils wrapped around the nail also affects the strength of the magnetic field. The more coils there are, the stronger the magnetic field will be. This is because each coil adds to the overall magnetic field of the nail.

How does the material of the nail affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The material of the nail also plays a role in determining the strength of the magnetic field. Materials such as iron or steel have a higher magnetic permeability, meaning they can easily be magnetized and have a stronger magnetic field compared to materials with lower magnetic permeability.

Is there a way to increase the strength of the magnetic field at the end of a wire wrapped nail?

Yes, there are a few ways to increase the strength of the magnetic field. One way is to increase the current flowing through the wire. Another way is to increase the number of coils wrapped around the nail. Additionally, using materials with higher magnetic permeability can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.