Tension, Compression, Shear Problem.

In summary: So, no problem with the book solution then?In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum permissible tensile load Pallow in a solid steel bar with a hole, which is attached to supports by a steel pin. The yield stress for shear in the pin is 120 MPa, and the yield stress for tension in the bar is 250 MPa. The factor of safety is 2.0. By using the equations σallow = σY / n and τallow = τY / n, along with the area calculation for a "circle with a core removed" (side view of a pin through bar), Pallow can be determined. However, it must also be checked that the shear allowable in the pin does
dww47

Homework Statement

A solid steel bar of diameter d1 = 60 mm has a hole of diameter d2 = 32 mm drilled through it. A steel pin of diameter d2 passes through the hole and is attached to supports.

Determine the maximum permissible tensile load Pallow in the bar.

-Yield stress for shear in pin is τY = 120 MPa.
-Yield stress for tension in bar is σY = 250 MPa.
-Factor of safety n = 2.0.

Homework Equations

σallow = σY / n

τallow = τY / n

In direct tension and compression:

Pallow = σallowA

If compression, and a pin is present:

Pallow = τallowA

Area of regular cross section in bar is area of circle.

Area of cross section with pin present requires additional steps. Because I do not have any images, I can only do my best to explain.

The area of a "circle with a core removed" (side view of a pin through bar), is

A = 2r2(α - (ab)/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

It would be very hard to show my steps of determining the area, but I know the area is correct. I calculated the area of the cross-section with a pin to be

A = 0.0010028 m2.

This is after all the correct conversions and formulas to determine, as outlined in the appendix of my book.

I recognize that because this bar is in tension, the pin does not factor in. I use the equation:

Pallow = σallowA

Pallow = (250MPa / 2.0)(0.0010028)
Pallow = 0.12535 MPa*m2

0.12535 MPa*m2 * 106 Pa/MPa = 125350 Pa*m2

I know a pascal(Pa) is equivalent to 1 N/m2. The m2 cancels out, leaving

125350 N.

The solutions in my book says the answer should be 95.6 kN. My answer is 125.35 kN. I was wondering if the book was wrong, or if I'd messed up somewhere?

Thanks for any help. This is my first of hopefully not many posts. Any feedback regarding both my work and the format of my question would be appreciated! :)

D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dww47 said:

Homework Statement

A solid steel bar of diameter d1 = 60 mm has a hole of diameter d2 = 32 mm drilled through it. A steel pin of diameter d2 passes through the hole and is attached to supports.

Determine the maximum permissible tensile load Pallow in the bar.

-Yield stress for shear in pin is τY = 120 MPa.
-Yield stress for tension in bar is σY = 250 MPa.
-Factor of safety n = 2.0.

Homework Equations

σallow = σY / n

τallow = τY / n

In direct tension and compression:

Pallow = σallowA

If compression, and a pin is present:

Pallow = τallowA

Area of regular cross section in bar is area of circle.

Area of cross section with pin present requires additional steps. Because I do not have any images, I can only do my best to explain.

The area of a "circle with a core removed" (side view of a pin through bar), is

A = 2r2(α - (ab)/r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

It would be very hard to show my steps of determining the area, but I know the area is correct. I calculated the area of the cross-section with a pin to be

A = 0.0010028 m2.

This is after all the correct conversions and formulas to determine, as outlined in the appendix of my book.

I recognize that because this bar is in tension, the pin does not factor in. I use the equation:

Pallow = σallowA

Pallow = (250MPa / 2.0)(0.0010028)
Pallow = 0.12535 MPa*m2

0.12535 MPa*m2 * 106 Pa/MPa = 125350 Pa*m2

I know a pascal(Pa) is equivalent to 1 N/m2. The m2 cancels out, leaving

125350 N.

The solutions in my book says the answer should be 95.6 kN. My answer is 125.35 kN. I was wondering if the book was wrong, or if I'd messed up somewhere?

Thanks for any help. This is my first of hopefully not many posts. Any feedback regarding both my work and the format of my question would be appreciated! :)

D
You forgot to check the shear allowable in the pin, which may govern. Note also that I get 96.5 kN as the max permissible tensile load in the bar, with a FS = 2.0

I've gone over the problem with a friend. I saw that I was supposed to account for the shear in the pin. I guess I misunderstood the reading.

Thanks for the help regardless!

D

Great, that was a nice clearly presented solution methodology.

Hello,

Thank you for providing your work and question. Your approach and calculations seem to be correct. The area of the cross-section with the pin present is calculated correctly and the final result of 125.35 kN is also correct. It is possible that there may be a mistake in the book's solution. I would recommend double checking your work and potentially reaching out to your instructor for clarification. Great job on your work and thank you for using proper formatting in your question. I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to Tension, Compression, Shear Problem.

1. What is the difference between tension, compression, and shear?

Tension is a force that pulls on an object, compression is a force that pushes on an object, and shear is a force that causes one part of an object to slide past another part.

2. How do tension, compression, and shear affect different materials?

Tension and compression can cause materials to stretch or compress, while shear can cause materials to bend or break.

3. What is the significance of understanding tension, compression, and shear in engineering?

Understanding and being able to analyze tension, compression, and shear is crucial in designing structures and machines that can withstand various forces and loads.

4. How can tension, compression, and shear be calculated and measured?

Tension and compression can be calculated using the formula F = A x σ, where F is the force, A is the cross-sectional area, and σ is the stress. Shear can be calculated using the formula τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress and A is the area of the sheared surface. These forces can also be measured using specialized equipment such as strain gauges and load cells.

5. What are some real-world examples where tension, compression, and shear play a significant role?

Examples include bridges, buildings, and other structures that need to withstand various forces and loads, as well as machines and tools that require different materials to be able to handle tension, compression, and shear forces.