Stressing out over grad school apps

In summary: I don't know.In summary, the person is applying to grad school and is stressed out. They are advised to try to focus on other dreams and not dwell on the outcome.
Delong
Hi everyone, I'm applying to grad school and I find the process extremely stressful. Today I got almost/maybe rejected from my third graduate school and I am completely freaking out. This one was one I was actually pretty hopeful I can get in. I still have four other schools I applied to but if this trend continues I might not get into any. Getting into grad school and pursuing life as a scientist has always been my dream. All my future plans rides on this. When I got the news today that I may be rejected I was so stressed I actually had to find a place to sit down and control my breathing. I feel like my organs are ripping apart from all the adrenaline. Can someone offer me any words of comfort or ease please? I think that I'm a pretty good student, I'm not straight A's but I love science and I worked hard. I always took hard classes and I even completed an REU. My GRE scores are decent. I really hope I can get in somewhere and that I stop freaking out.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advise is to start fostering other dreams. Nobody should close themselves off to all but one path. Dont give up on science, but even if you happen to get in and manage to complete the PhD the chances of you being a professional scientist are very slim.

ModusPwnd said:
My advise is to start fostering other dreams. Nobody should close themselves off to all but one path. Dont give up on science, but even if you happen to get in and manage to complete the PhD the chances of you being a professional scientist are very slim.

I never had any other dream than doing research. I can't imagine myself doing anything else for a living. Did I make a mistake by applying to grad school this early? Maybe I should have worked a few years? I don't know.

As much as possible try not to think about it. Once all your horses are in, then you can act on the result, but until then, dwelling on the outcome will only add to your stress.

If the unthinkable happens and you don't get in, then you just have to come up with a contingency plan. If you really want to get into graduate school, it would be worth analysing what happened and figuring out how you can improve your chances for next year. Yes, it would suck to "lose" a year, but probably not as much as you might think now. That might be an opportunity to get a job and stash away some money as you prepare for the long penniless haut of graduate school.

Choppy said:
As much as possible try not to think about it. Once all your horses are in, then you can act on the result, but until then, dwelling on the outcome will only add to your stress.

If the unthinkable happens and you don't get in, then you just have to come up with a contingency plan. If you really want to get into graduate school, it would be worth analysing what happened and figuring out how you can improve your chances for next year. Yes, it would suck to "lose" a year, but probably not as much as you might think now. That might be an opportunity to get a job and stash away some money as you prepare for the long penniless haut of graduate school.
Ok thanks for your advice. I sometimes think I'm making some naive decisions. Maybe I should have applied to easier schools. Or maybe work a year before entering. Do I even know what I'm doing? Try ing to get myself into grad school... Who am I kidding I'm not a disciplined student and my grades aren't that good. Probably my professors said some honest things about me in the letters. I feel pathetic. Gonna go cry now.

I applied to six graduate schools and got rejected by five of them before being accepted by the sixth. I don't even understand what you mean when you say you maybe got rejected; given the heightened state of stress you're apparently in my first guess would be that you're misinterpreting some trivial communication.

Or maybe work a year before entering.

If you don't get in anywhere you can just do exactly that.

Office_Shredder said:
I applied to six graduate schools and got rejected by five of them before being accepted by the sixth. I don't even understand what you mean when you say you maybe got rejected; given the heightened state of stress you're apparently in my first guess would be that you're misinterpreting some trivial

If you don't get in anywhere you can just do exactly that.
The email said i didn't get in. I replied saying that at least one of the professors seemed interested in having me but she replied later saying I wouldn't be a good fit adding more to my misery.
I feel like my life as a student is being judged this feeling sucks.

What are the most common requirements for grad school applications?

The specific requirements for grad school applications vary depending on the program and institution. However, most applications will require transcripts, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), a personal statement or essay, and a resume or CV.

How important are grades and test scores in the grad school application process?

Grades and test scores are certainly an important factor in the grad school application process, but they are not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other aspects such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and the personal statement. It is important to have a strong overall application, rather than just focusing on grades and test scores.

What can I do to make my application stand out?

There are several things you can do to make your application stand out. First, focus on your strengths and highlight them in your personal statement and resume. Also, try to gain relevant experience in your field through internships, volunteering, or research. Lastly, make sure to have strong letters of recommendation from individuals who know you well and can speak to your abilities and potential.

How important is it to choose the right program and institution for grad school?

Choosing the right program and institution for grad school is crucial. It is important to research and consider factors such as program curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and location. You want to make sure that the program and institution align with your goals and interests, and will provide you with the resources and support you need to succeed.

What should I do if I am feeling overwhelmed or stressed during the grad school application process?

Feeling overwhelmed or stressed during the grad school application process is normal. It is important to take care of yourself and manage your stress in healthy ways. This could include taking breaks, talking to a mentor or advisor, and seeking support from friends and family. It is also helpful to stay organized and break the application process into smaller, manageable tasks. Remember to prioritize your mental and emotional well-being during this time.