String Theory-Virasoro Generators -- show commutator relation

I assume you just made a mistake in the indices in your calculation, because I can't see any other error.Ok, one more time.I am using: ##[a,bc]=[a,b]c + b[a,c]####a=\alpha_m^u####b=\alpha_{n-m}^{\nu}####c=\alpha_k^{\alpha}####[\alpha_m^u, \alpha_{n-m}^{\nu}\alpha_k^{\alpha}]=\alpha_{m}^u[\alpha_{n-m}^{\nu},\alpha_k^{\alpha}]+\alpha_{n-m}^{\nu}[\alpha_m^u,\alpha_k^{\alpha}]
binbagsss

Homework Statement

(I have dropped the hats on the ##\alpha_{n}^{u}## operators and ##L_{m}##)

##[\alpha_{n}^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv}##
##L_m=\frac{1}{2}\sum\limits_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} : \alpha_{m-n}^u\alpha_{n}^v: \eta_{uv}-\delta_{m,0}##

where : denotes normal-ordered.

Show that : ##[\alpha_{m}^u,L_n]=m\alpha_{m+n}^u##

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

For a given ##n## we are looking at the following commutator: ##[\alpha_m,\alpha_{n-m}\alpha_m]##

to use commutator relation:

##[a,bc]=-a[b,c]-[a,c]b##

##a= \alpha_m##
##b= \alpha_{n-m}##
##c= \alpha_m ##

##[a,c]=0##
##[b,c]=(n-m)\delta_{n=0}\eta^{uv}## using (1)

##\implies [\alpha_{m}^u,L_n]=\alpha_m^u(m)\eta^{uv} ## which is wrong...

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
bump please. many thanks in advance, very grateful.

The commutator relation you've written down is wrong.

Likes binbagsss
king vitamin said:
The commutator relation you've written down is wrong.

Sorry to re-bump an old thread but I thought it would be a waste to start a new one.
I think I understood this at the time but right now I am not getting it.
Why is the commutator relation wrong?

Let me instead use:

##[a,bc]=[a,b]c+b[a,c]##

##a=\alpha_m##
##b=\alpha_{n-m}##
##c=\alpha_m##

##[\alpha_m, \alpha_{n-m}]\alpha_m + \alpha_{m-n}[\alpha_m,\alpha_m] = m\delta_n \eta^{uv}\alpha_m + m\delta_{2m}\eta^{uv}##

which is wrong..

You shouldn't use the same index [itex]m[/itex] for both the [itex]\alpha_m[/itex] and the summed index in the definition of [itex]L_n[/itex].

So using the (now correct) relation

[tex] [a,bc] = [a,b]c + b[a,c][/tex]

with

[tex]
a = \alpha_m^u \\

b = \alpha_{n-k}^{\nu} \\

c = \alpha_k^{\alpha}
[/tex]

you should get the correct answer after contracting with [itex]\eta_{\nu \alpha}[/itex].

Likes binbagsss

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the two major theories of modern physics: General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. It posits that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings.

2. What are Virasoro Generators?

Virasoro Generators are mathematical operators that play a key role in string theory. They are used to describe the symmetries of the two-dimensional surface on which the strings vibrate, known as the worldsheet.

3. What is the commutator relation in String Theory-Virasoro Generators?

The commutator relation in String Theory-Virasoro Generators is a mathematical expression that describes how these operators behave when applied to different elements in the theory. It helps to determine the algebraic structure of the theory and is essential for making predictions and calculations.

4. Why is the commutator relation important in String Theory?

The commutator relation is important in String Theory because it allows us to understand how different operators in the theory interact with each other. By understanding these interactions, we can make predictions about the behavior of strings and the properties of the universe on a fundamental level.

5. How does the commutator relation impact our understanding of the universe?

The commutator relation plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe through String Theory. It allows us to study the behavior of strings and how they interact with each other, giving us insights into the fundamental nature of the universe and potentially helping us to unify the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.