Strings, Virasoro Operators & constraints, mass of state

In summary, the conversation revolves around the derivation of the mass-squared formula for a string theory with no ghost states using the Virasoro constraints. The conversation includes discussions on the L0 and L1 operators, as well as the Minkowski metric and the commutator relation. The goal is to obtain a mass-squared value of 1/α' but the attempt only yields a value of 3/α'. The poster is seeking help and clarification on their approach.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question:

(With the following definitions here:
vira.png

- Consider ##L_0|x>=0## to show that ##m^2=\frac{1}{\alpha'}##
- Consider ##L_1|x>=0 ## to conclude that ## 1+A-2B=0##- where ##d## is the dimension of the space ##d=\eta^{uv}\eta_{uv}##

For the L1 operator I am able to get the correct expression of ##1+A-2B=0##
I am struggling with L0

Any help much appreciated.

Homework Equations

##\alpha^u_0={p^u}\sqrt{2 \alpha'}##

##\alpha_{n>0}## annihilate

##\alpha_{n<0}## create

## [\alpha_n^u, \alpha_m^v]=n\delta_{n+m}\eta^{uv}## (*)

where ##\eta^{uv}## is the Minkowski metric

##p^u|k>=k^u|k>##

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my L0 attempt:

##L_0=(\alpha_0^2+2\sum\limits_{n=1}\alpha_{-n}\alpha_{n}-1)##

So first of all looking at the first term of ##|x>## I need to consider:

##L_0 \alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}##

Considering the four product operator and using the commutators in the same way as done for ##L_1## I get from this:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+4-1)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>## (**)

Here's how I got it:(dropped indices in places, but just to give idea, ##\eta^{uv}## the minkowksi metric)
##2\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1} |k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1+\eta)\alpha_{-1})|k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}\alpha_1\alpha_{-1}+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
= 2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{1}+\eta)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1})|k>
=2(\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}(0+\eta|k>)+\eta\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>)
= 2(2\alpha_{-1}.\alpha_{-1})##

so from (**) I have:

##L_0\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k> =(\alpha_0^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
##=(2\alpha'p^2+3)\alpha_{-1}\alpha_{-1}|k>=0##
##\implies 2\alpha'p^2+3=0##
## \implies 2(-m^2)\alpha'=-3##

So I get ## m^{2}=3/\alpha'## and not ##1/\alpha'## :(

Any help much appreciated ( I see the mass is independent of ##A## and ##B## so I thought I'd deal with the first term before confusing my self to see why these terms vanish)Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are strings in physics?

Strings in physics refer to the fundamental building blocks of matter, which are believed to be one-dimensional objects that vibrate at different frequencies. These strings are hypothesized to be the fundamental unit of all particles and are thought to make up the fabric of the universe.

2. What is the significance of Virasoro operators in string theory?

Virasoro operators are a set of mathematical operators that are used in string theory to describe the symmetry of the theory. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of strings and their interactions, and they also help to solve certain constraints and equations in string theory.

3. How are constraints applied in string theory?

Constraints in string theory refer to mathematical equations or conditions that must be satisfied in order for the theory to be valid. These constraints help to limit the possible solutions and allow for a more accurate description of the theory. They are applied in various ways, such as through the use of Lagrange multipliers or through the imposition of boundary conditions.

4. How is the mass of a state determined in string theory?

In string theory, the mass of a state is determined by the vibrational modes of the string. Each vibrational mode corresponds to a different energy level, and the sum of these energy levels gives the total mass of the state. The mass of a state can also be affected by the constraints and interactions that the string experiences.

5. Can string theory explain the mass of particles?

String theory is still a developing and complex theory, and while it holds promise in explaining the mass of particles, it is not yet able to fully explain this phenomenon. However, it does provide a framework for understanding the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions, which may lead to a better understanding of mass in the future.