Working out the apropriate i.d. of a hollow tube

• Thread starter JJParr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary: Donuts coffee is great. In summary, the author is worried that they are overcomplicating things and need help. They are not mechanically savvy, but they try to use some math to justify their bracing choice.
JJParr
Hi,

Ive just joined as I've spent the last few months falling onto this site to try and help me in various bits and peices. I am however stuck on something.

For part of my dissertation (automotive) I am introducing a brace into a subframe of a competing drift car. To save weight this is brace is going to be a diagonal hollow tube from one corner to the other. (the current subframe setup is basicly a square).

I need to justify the size of the tube I use including wall thickness. The tube will be mainly loaded in tension and compression which is what I will be focusing on.

Whats known/fixed

Length
Max load
Material/material properties of low carbon steel

I am worried that I am overcomplecating things in my head. Is it just a simple pressure = force/area for a solid bar, working that out and then trying to get that strength out of a tube? Everything I search for seems to come up with torsional loading or bending.

Any help will be hugely apreciated.. Not necciserally an answer, just a point in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not super mechanically savvy, but I think you could start with young's modulus, bulk modulus, and shear modulus to justify your bracing choice.

(FOR HOLLOW PIPE)

if you have modulus of elasticity for that particular steel you can work out the extension:

extension= (Force x Length)/(Material area x modulus of elasticity)

(material area= total area-void area)

you will have to play around with the dia. and void area (area of inside tube) for wall thickness, to show different extensions. Works well if you use metric system, plug it all in meters.

We got for 50kn extension force, 75mm dia tube, void area = 60mm, Mod of E = 100Gpa, resulted in an extension of 0.188mm.

Material area = 1.59x10-3m2 (total area-void area)

e=50x103N x 0.6m/ 1.59x10-3m2 x 100Gpa

e= 188.7x10-6m or 0.188x10-3m or 0.188mm

This works for pipes, but not sure for other shapes. Hope this helps

Dunk

Last edited:

What is the purpose of determining the appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube?

The purpose of determining the appropriate i.d. (inner diameter) of a hollow tube is to ensure that the tube is suitable for its intended use. The i.d. of a tube can affect its strength, weight, and other physical properties, making it an important consideration in many industries such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing.

What factors should be considered when determining the appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube?

Several factors should be considered when determining the appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube, including the intended use, the type of material the tube is made of, the desired strength and weight, and any potential external forces or stresses that the tube may be subjected to.

How is the appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube calculated?

The appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube is typically calculated using mathematical formulas and engineering principles. These calculations take into account the various factors mentioned previously, as well as the desired safety margin and any applicable industry standards or regulations.

What tools or methods are used to measure the i.d. of a hollow tube?

The i.d. of a hollow tube can be measured using various tools and methods, such as calipers, micrometers, or laser measurement devices. Non-destructive testing techniques, such as ultrasound or X-rays, may also be used to determine the i.d. of a tube without damaging it.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working out the appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube?

Some common mistakes to avoid when determining the appropriate i.d. of a hollow tube include not considering all relevant factors, relying on incorrect or outdated calculations, and not accounting for potential manufacturing variations or defects. It is also important to regularly check and verify the accuracy of measurement tools and methods to ensure accurate results.