Structural Member Undergoing Pure Bending: Detached Mesh Regions

• Thread starter roldy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesh
In summary: I don't see any gaps. Do you have a picture that would show the gaps?I don't see any gaps. Do you have a picture that would show the gaps?I don't see any gaps. Do you have a picture that would show the gaps?I don't see any gaps. Do you have a picture that would show the gaps?In summary, the member is undergoing pure bending, but the center region does not deform as would be expected. The mesh appears to be having problems connecting the center region to its surrounding geometry.
roldy
I'm working on a structural member that is undergoing pure bending. The load is at the end of the member. I am modeled this as a 3 dimensional solid. I meshed using the bottom up approach and associated the meshed regions to their appropriate geometries. The problem I am having is that when I look at the deformed member, the center region does not deform as would be expected. Instead it remains static and there is an apparent gap at the bottom of the region and it looks like the top of the region intersected the deformed geometry. It looks like the center region is not connected to its surrounding geometry. I am not sure how to go about fixing this. Attached is a picture showing the member being tested and the deformed mesh.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry, no picture was attached to your post.

Sorry about that.

Attachments

• pics.png
    pics.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 266
Are they separate solids, and if so have you defined contact conditions for them? Looks like only one portion of the mesh is seeing the load.

This is supposed to be one solid. There are reliefs on each side of the beam. The distributed load is located on the extrusion on the top of the beam.

What software package is this?

Abaqus CAE

Well all I can say is this looks like a mesh problem. You're going to need to fix the mesh such that its properly attached, whether that's going element by element or re-meshing the geometry. It is up to you.

I've remeshed about 3 times now and I get the same problem. I'm wondering if it's because of the relief? I'll probably post the file up here tomorrow.

What do you mean when you say relief? Are you referring to the cutout in the sides if the beam which forms the thin web center portion, or is there a small gap which separates the beam's flange and web?

I meant the cutout in the sides.

There's definitely something wrong with the finite element mesh, check to make sure it's continuous and well spaced in the region where the problem is happening.

I could not figure out the problem so I've included a link to download a zip file containing the necessary files. I have 3 variations of the model but I am only focusing on the model named "default".

Strut

I'm sorry but I don't have the software so I can't help in that respect. I really think there's a fundamental error in your model where you've split the geometry into multiple solids or something and haven't defined contact regions.

Good luck.

I split some faces, but not solids. If it's a problem with splitting the faces, then the problem would of showed up everywhere else I created a split.

Did you import the solid through a geometry interface (like *.step or *.igs) , or did you construct it from scratch in Abaqus? Maybe there's an error in the geometry import?

The fact that the inner portion of the mesh isn't deforming means that the edges of the web have their own nodes, but there are matching edges from the portion of the mesh that deforms as well. Why did these edges get separate nodes instead of just one line of nodes?

I created the geometry within Abaqus. I seeded the edge located in the cutout. I then seeded the edge located directly above it (in the z direction). I think that may be the problem. I will redo the mesh tonight with this in mind.

Can you show a zoomed-in detail picture of the area you're talking about? From what youre describing it sounds like there's a gap there and you're meshing two separate edges, in which case you do not have monolithic mesh in the area...

I used the query tool to find any mesh gaps and it found some. I've attached two pics. One shows the nodes on the edge of the cutout. The other shows the gaps. I'm not sure how to go about closing the gaps.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 423
  • gaps.JPG
    gaps.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Can you merge the geometry into a monolithic piece before meshing? It might make the mesh not quite as pretty, but would guarantee no gaps.

Mech_Engineer said:
Can you merge the geometry into a monolithic piece before meshing? It might make the mesh not quite as pretty, but would guarantee no gaps.

I don't quite understand what you mean. The geometry was modeled in Abaqus. It shouldn't have any gaps, right? If you mean merging the partitions into one, then no I would like to avoid doing this.

If you don't want to merge the solid, then you have to define bonded contact conditions between the separate pieces right? How is Abaqus supposed to know you want this behavior otherwise?

What I don't understand is that I should be getting gaps at all the partition edges. The attached image shows how I partitioned the solid.

Attachments

• partitions.JPG
    partitions.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 461
Is there a setting for the meshing process which connects/integrates the adjacent sub-meshes?

I'm not sure. That's what I've been trying to figure out.

1. What is a structural member undergoing pure bending?

A structural member undergoing pure bending is a type of structural element that experiences bending moments without any shear forces acting on it. This results in a curvature along the length of the member, with the top portion experiencing tension and the bottom portion experiencing compression.

2. What are detached mesh regions in relation to structural members undergoing pure bending?

Detached mesh regions are areas where the mesh is not connected to the structural member undergoing pure bending. These regions can occur due to various factors such as changes in geometry or loading, and can affect the accuracy of the analysis results.

3. How do detached mesh regions affect the analysis of structural members undergoing pure bending?

Detached mesh regions can significantly impact the accuracy of analysis results for structural members undergoing pure bending. They can lead to incorrect stress and strain calculations, and may also result in convergence issues in finite element analysis models.

4. How can detached mesh regions be prevented in structural analysis?

To prevent detached mesh regions in structural analysis, it is important to carefully design the mesh and ensure that it is properly connected to the structural member. Regularly checking for any disconnected regions and refining the mesh in those areas can also help prevent detached mesh regions.

5. Are there any software tools available to help detect detached mesh regions in structural analysis?

Yes, there are several software tools available that can help detect detached mesh regions in structural analysis. These tools use various algorithms to identify any disconnected regions and provide options to fix them, helping to improve the accuracy of analysis results.