Struggling Engineering Student Needs Help with Tension in Cable Homework

In summary, the student attempted to find the moment arm for the weight of the beam and found that it would be half the moment arm of the diagonal wire.
CheesyPeeps

Homework Statement

2013-Q4.jpg

Homework Equations

∑MA = 0, where A is the pin.
Tx = Tcos150
Ty = Tsin150

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn in the 100kN force of the beam's weight, and identified that ∑MA = 0. I attempted to find the moment arm, but really wasn't sure how do to it, or if it would even help.

I'm a first year engineering student who's struggling with statics. Any help is appreciated, but please do your best to keep it as easy to understand as possible.

Attachments

• 2013-Q4.jpg
    2013-Q4.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 671
Physics news on Phys.org
CheesyPeeps said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 232980

Homework Equations

∑MA = 0, where A is the pin.

Tx = Tcos150
Ty = Tsin150

150?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn in the 100kN force of the beam's weight, and identified that ∑MA = 0. I attempted to find the moment arm, but really wasn't sure how do to it, or if it would even help.

I'm a first year engineering student who's struggling with statics. Any help is appreciated, but please do your best to keep it as easy to understand as possible.

Try summing the torques about A.

The mass of the beam creates a clockwise torque. The wire must create an anticlockwise torque. It's not accelerating so these torques must sum to zero.

Perhaps temporarily replace the diagonal wire with a vertical wire?

CWatters said:
150?
Try summing the torques about A.

The mass of the beam creates a clockwise torque. The wire must create an anticlockwise torque. It's not accelerating so these torques must sum to zero.

Perhaps temporarily replace the diagonal wire with a vertical wire?

Thank you very much for your advice.
I replaced the wire with a vertical wire equal to Tsin30, and then wrote that Tsin30-100kN = 0. That means T = 200kN, but I checked the answer to the question, and it's T = 100kN. Have I missed something? I have the moments/torque chapter of my textbook open in front of me, but it's not helping much :confused:

Where does the weight of the beam act? If you were to draw its force vector, where would you place it on the diagram?

Likes CheesyPeeps
gneill said:
Where does the weight of the beam act? If you were to draw its force vector, where would you place it on the diagram?

Thank you so much! I got it!
I drew the weight's force vector down from the middle of the beam, and when I did that, it finally clicked that the moment arm of the weight would be half the moment arm of Tsin30. I had been stressing over this question since yesterday - I'm so glad I understand it now. Thank you again!

Likes gneill
CheesyPeeps said:
Thank you very much for your advice.
I replaced the wire with a vertical wire equal to Tsin30, and then wrote that Tsin30-100kN = 0.

Those aren't torques they are forces.

CWatters said:
Those aren't torques they are forces.

Yeah, I see that now. I wasn't thinking at all about the moment arm, but once I spotted the fact that Tsin30 and the weight have different moment arms, I got it. Thank you again for your help! Statics has been driving me mad, so I'm really glad I understand this now :oldbiggrin:

What is tension in a cable and why is it important in engineering?

Tension in a cable refers to the amount of force or stress applied to the cable. It is important in engineering because it affects the stability and strength of the structure the cable is supporting. Tension is also a crucial factor in determining the load capacity of the cable and ensuring safety in the design.

How can I calculate tension in a cable?

To calculate tension in a cable, you need to know the weight of the object being supported by the cable, the angle of the cable, and the length of the cable. You can then use the formula T = W/sinθ, where T is the tension, W is the weight, and θ is the angle of the cable.

What factors can affect tension in a cable?

Several factors can affect tension in a cable, including the weight of the object being supported, the angle of the cable, the material and diameter of the cable, and external forces such as wind or vibrations. It is important to consider all of these factors when designing structures with cables.

How can I ensure the tension in a cable is within safe limits?

To ensure the tension in a cable is within safe limits, engineers typically use a safety factor. This is a multiplier applied to the calculated tension to account for uncertainties and ensure the cable can withstand unexpected loads. The specific safety factor used will depend on the type of structure and the materials being used.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with tension in cables?

Some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with tension in cables include not considering all the factors that can affect tension, using incorrect calculations or formulas, and not properly accounting for safety factors. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain cables to ensure they are in good condition and not at risk of failure.