Struggling with (I think pretty trivial) eigenfunction work for QM.

In summary: I'll try that next time.In summary, an operator corresponding to an observable A has two normalized eigenfunctions with distinct eigenvalues a1 and a2. An operator corresponding to an observable B has normalized eigenfunctions with distinct eigenvalues b1 and b2. The eigenfunctions are related by \varphi1=\frac{2\chi_{1} + 3\chi_{2}}{\sqrt{13}}\varphi2=\frac{3\chi_{1} - 2\chi_{2}}{\sqrt{13}}If A is measured and then B is measured, the probability of obtaining a1 a second
Rookiemonster
This is the sort of thing that should be easy but my brain has blanked due to be overloaded in other areas of Physics.

An operator [itex]\check{A}[/itex] , corresponding to an observable A, has two normalized eigenfunctions [itex]\varphi[/itex]1 and [itex]\varphi[/itex]2 , with distinct eigenvalues a1 and a2 . An operator [itex]\check{B}[/itex] , corresponding to an observable B, has normalized eigenfunctions [itex]\chi[/itex]1 and [itex]\chi[/itex]2 , with distinct eigenvalues
b1 and b2 . The eigenfunctions are related by

[itex]\varphi[/itex]1=[itex]\frac{2\chi_{1} + 3\chi_{2}}{\sqrt{13}}[/itex]

[itex]\varphi[/itex]2=[itex]\frac{3\chi_{1} - 2\chi_{2}}{\sqrt{13}}[/itex]

A is measured and the value a1 is obtained. If B is then measured and then A again,
show that the probability of obtaining a1 a second time is [itex]\frac{97}{169}[/itex].

I've tried a great deal of different approaches but I'll walk though the one that led closest.

I assumed that [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\check{B}[/itex] where both hermitian so there operators were orthogonal. Therefore the bra-ket of [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex] is zero.

This yields two options. Either [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex]=3 and [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]=-2 or [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex]=2 and [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]=-3. I used the one that didn't make [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] vanish.

Then my plan was to go from [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] to [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex] and then back again. So take bra-kets squared and then do the same for [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]. So I'm assuming the wave function is in the state [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and then working out the probability of it going to either of the B states and then the probability of it going back to [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex].

None of this worked and I got nonsense out. Any help is appreciated, I recognise that I'm being very simple and apologies if I haven't posted correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rookiemonster, welcome to PF.
Rookiemonster said:
I assumed that [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\check{B}[/itex] where both hermitian so there operators were orthogonal. Therefore the bra-ket of [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex] is zero.
Yes, and this can be checked.

Then my plan was to go from [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] to [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex] and then back again. So take bra-kets squared and then do the same for [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]. So I'm assuming the wave function is in the state [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and then working out the probability of it going to either of the B states and then the probability of it going back to [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex].
Yes, that is the right idea. You have some general wavefunction describing a quantum system. You are told that when the observable corresponding to the operator A is measured, you obtain the value a1. So, the wavefunction has collapsed into an eigenstate of A, that being ##\varphi_1##. Now, assume we measure B right away (we are not given that ##\varphi_1## is a stationary state of some Hamitonian, so the system might naturally evolve if we leave it long enough, but that need not concern us.) To obtain the possible values of B in the state ##\varphi_1##, you need to express this state in terms of the eigenfunctions of B. Happily, the question did that for you. So, what are the possible outcomes and their corresponding probabilities?

so the bra-ket of [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex] should be equal to zero.

Therefore, either [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] or [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex] needs to be zero in total.

Therefore, [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex]=3 and [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]=-2 or [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex]=2 [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]=3

The problem is putting these values into a squared bra-ket of [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex] yields a probability greater than one.

Rookiemonster said:
so the bra-ket of [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex] should be equal to zero.

Therefore, either [itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] or [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex] needs to be zero in total.
I am not sure what you mean by that - the bra-ket being zero is due to the orthogonality of the states, i.e ##\varphi_1, \varphi_2## are eigenstates of A with different eigenvalues, so their inner product vanishes.

Therefore, [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex]=3 and [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]=-2 or [itex]\chi_{1}[/itex]=2 [itex]\chi_{2}[/itex]=3
The ##\chi_i## and ##\varphi_i## need not be identically equal to a constant always. I'll start you off on the right track: You were given that A is measured and the result ##a_1## found. This means your system is now in the eigenstate ##\varphi_1##. Now you measure B while the system is in this state. To find the possible values of B, you must decompose ##\varphi_1## into the eigenstates of B (the ##\chi_i##). So ##\varphi_1 = c_1 \chi_1 + c_2 \chi_2##. If the state is normalized, then ##|c_1|^2 + |c_2|^2 = 1## and so the interpretation is that the ##c_i## are the possible outcomes of B in the state ##\varphi_1## and ##|c_i|^2## is the corresponding probability. Since you must measure some value of B, these probabilities must add up to 1, as you can also check.

Are you are a hero. I hadn't thought to use the probability of coefficients.

1. What is an eigenfunction in quantum mechanics?

An eigenfunction in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that represents a possible state of a quantum system. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation and can be used to calculate the probability of a particle being found in a particular state.

2. Why is eigenfunction work considered difficult?

Eigenfunction work can be considered difficult because it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and complex numbers. It also involves solving differential equations, which can be challenging for some individuals.

3. What are the applications of eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions are used to describe the energy levels and possible states of a quantum system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and it has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, material science, and quantum computing.

4. How can I improve my understanding of eigenfunction work in QM?

To improve your understanding of eigenfunction work in QM, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and differential equations. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or seeking help from a tutor or mentor.

5. Can eigenfunctions be visualized?

No, eigenfunctions cannot be visualized in the traditional sense as they are abstract mathematical concepts. However, the probability distribution of a particle in a particular state can be visualized using tools such as wavefunctions and probability density plots.