Stuck between engineering or doing math+business for undergrad

In summary, the individual is a 17-year-old senior in high school in India and is interested in studying applied math and business for their undergraduate degree in the US. They have taken physics, chemistry, and math as their main subjects in high school but have not studied business. They are concerned about the career prospects and potential financial challenges in pursuing this field. They are also torn between choosing engineering, as it is a popular field in India, and following their interests in quantum physics and math computation. They seek advice on whether it is possible to study both applied math and business at the same time and the potential job opportunities in this field.
Arpit Agarwal
Im 17 senior year high school in india.
I want to study applied math and business for undergraduate in university. Is it possible doing both at the same time? I want to do my undergrads from us most probably. I've also taken physics,chem, math in high school as my main subjects. I haven't taken business as a subject in high school. Can i still get admission in uni. though? What are the career prospects in studying applied math and business? I am worried if do this then i might lose a lot of time and money as it could become hard getting good jobs and stuffand might not be able to pursue my goals.. My interests are in - quantum physics, math computation etc.There is a hype of engineering in India so most students study engineering here just to get jobs and dang . Even I am stuck here choosing between engineering or dang but i want to do something different. Here in India no one gets good respected paying job opportunities unless if youre an engineer, doctor or a lawyer. I just want to know what are my job chances if i select these subjects ? I've heard that its pretty hard for graduate math students to get jobs in companies and they most prolly wind up as teachers in schools. I want to do something big, something great. Like for example, running a huge business and being very successful in my field. I am very confused regarding what field to pursue right now.Please advise me regarding this i would greatly appreciate it . Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arpit Agarwal said:
Is it possible doing both at the same time?
Yeah why not? Math and business sound good together, especially stats. Big workload though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah why not? Math and business sound good together, especially stats. Big workload though.
Yeah but what about the career opportunities in this field? Do you think this field this more profitable than engineering?

Arpit Agarwal said:
Yeah but what about the career opportunities in this field? Do you think this field this more profitable than engineering?
Extremely broad fields. Thousands of possible careers. Forget the money, do what you enjoy the most.

1. What is the difference between engineering and math+business for undergraduate studies?

Engineering is a field that involves designing, building, and maintaining various structures, machines, and systems. It requires a strong understanding of math, physics, and other sciences. On the other hand, math+business combines mathematical concepts with business principles to analyze data, make financial decisions, and solve complex problems in the business world.

2. Which degree would provide better job opportunities?

Both engineering and math+business degrees offer a wide range of job opportunities. However, engineering may have a wider variety of job options, including roles in industries such as technology, construction, and manufacturing. Math+business graduates often pursue careers in finance, consulting, data analysis, or entrepreneurship.

3. Is it possible to combine engineering and math+business in undergraduate studies?

Yes, some universities offer dual-degree programs that allow students to major in both engineering and math+business. This can provide a well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities. However, it may require a heavier course load and longer time to complete the degree.

4. Which degree is more challenging?

This is subjective and depends on an individual's strengths and interests. Engineering may require more hands-on and technical skills, while math+business may involve more theoretical and analytical thinking. It is important to choose a degree that aligns with your strengths and interests to excel in your studies.

5. Can I switch from engineering to math+business or vice versa during my undergraduate studies?

It is possible to switch between majors, but it may require additional coursework and may prolong the time to complete your degree. It is important to carefully consider your decision and consult with academic advisors before making a switch.