Stuck on separable equation relating to moment of inertia

In summary: So then would the correct integral be I=∫rho^2 dV=∫(eta/pi R^2 H)^2 pi R^2 H dV=eta^2R^4H^3/p=eta^2R^4H^3/p In summary, the problem involves a rotating cylindrical can of gas with radius R and height H, with density η obeying a differential equation involving the distance from the longitudinal axis (ρ), a constant κ, and angular frequency ω. The problem can be solved by separating the equation and solving for η, then using the integral definition for the moment of inertia to find the MMOI with respect to the longitudinal axis
IneedPhysicsss

Homework Statement

(a) Consider a cylindrical can of gas with radius R and height H rotating about its longitudinal axis. The rotation causes the density of the gas, η, to obey the differential equation

dη(ρ)/dp = κ ω2 ρ η(ρ)

where ρ is the distance from the longitudinal axis, the constant κ depends on the properties of the gas, and ω is the angular frequency of rotation. Solve this (separable) equation and use the result to set up the integral for the moment of inertia of the gas in the can with respect to the longitudinal axis. Evaluate the integral either by integrating in parts or by using a computer.

(b) A solid hemisphere of radius R sits with its bottom flat face on the x-y plane. The hemisphere is uniformly charged with total charge Q. Find the electric potential at the center of the flat face, V0. What would happen to V0 if you added an identical hemisphere just below the first one such that it completed it to a full sphere? How is this reflected in your calculation of V0?

https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///page1image11176

Homework Equations

For now I'm only concerned with part a

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to solve the separable equation by getting my p's on one side and the n(p)'s on the other so:
dn(p)=kw^2 p n(p) (dp)
dn(p)/n(p)= kw^2 p (dp)

∫(1/n(p))(dn(p))=∫kw^2p (dp)
log(n(p))=(1/2)p^2kw^2

so that's where I'm at. The moment of inertia for a cylinders longitudinal axis is I=1/2MR^2 but I'm not really sure how to use the info to apply that. Any help or tips is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider just part (a) to begin. Separate the equation and solve it for the density function, eta. The apply the integral definition for the MMOI, using this density function in the definition.

So would the new step then be n(p)=5p^2kw^2

and then i plug in n(p) for the M and get I=2.5p^2kw^2R^2?

Gee, I don't know. Is this your problem or mine? If you believe you have done the problem correctly, then check your work and move on.

I should have also clarified for the n(p) the (p) is written as a subscript of the n so I've been treating it as a single variable not eta times p

I wouldn't be asking if I thought I had done it correctly. I asked the question because I assumed i messed up since the problem seems
too easy

I'm not sure eta and M are interchangeable. I'm thinking I have to first relate the density to Mass per volume. Since the volume of a cylinder is pir^2H I would have

eta=M/pi R^2 Hand end up with I= 5pi p^2 kw^2R^2H R^2

The problem statement said
IneedPhysicsss said:
The rotation causes the density of the gas, η, to obey the differential equation

dη(ρ)/dp = κ ω2 ρ η(ρ)

eta is the mass density. In the usual terminology, M is the total mass, equal to the integral of eta over the volume.

I see, thank you

1. What is a separable equation relating to moment of inertia?

A separable equation relating to moment of inertia is an equation that can be separated into two parts, one part dependent on the moment of inertia and the other part dependent on other variables. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the moment of inertia in various systems.

2. How do you solve a separable equation relating to moment of inertia?

To solve a separable equation relating to moment of inertia, you first need to identify which variables are dependent on the moment of inertia and separate them from the other variables. Then, you can integrate both sides of the equation to solve for the moment of inertia.

3. What are some examples of systems where separable equations for moment of inertia are used?

Separable equations for moment of inertia are commonly used in systems involving rotating objects, such as a spinning top, a rotating wheel, or a swinging pendulum. They are also used in more complex systems, such as planetary motion or the motion of a gyroscope.

4. Why are separable equations useful for calculating moment of inertia?

Separable equations allow for easier calculation and analysis of moment of inertia in various systems. By separating the equation into two parts, the moment of inertia can be isolated and solved for without the need for complex mathematical operations. This makes it a more efficient and practical method for determining moment of inertia.

5. Can separable equations for moment of inertia be applied to non-uniform objects?

Yes, separable equations for moment of inertia can be applied to non-uniform objects. However, the calculation may be more complex as it requires taking into account the varying distribution of mass throughout the object. In these cases, the equation may need to be modified to account for the non-uniformity of the object.