Student planning to apply for aerospace/aeronautics in the UK

Robin!In summary, the speaker congratulates Robin on their decision to pursue a degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College London and acknowledges the challenges they will face in the next 2 years. They advise Robin to seek advice and support from current students or alumni, create a study plan, gain practical experience outside of school, and not be afraid to ask for help. They express confidence in Robin's ability to succeed in their chosen field.
Robin04
Hi,

I'm planning to apply for the Aeronautical Engineering course of Imperial College London for 2017 entry, and I'm starting to realize that the next 2 years is going to be very hard for me, because it's not very easy to get an offer from Imperial. I'll have to work a lot and not just in school, but also outside school. I'm looking for someone who is in the same boat so that we can share experiences, plans and keep each other motivated. I would also be very happy if someone who has already completed this course (could be somewhere else also) shared his experiences, what difficulties he/she had during or before the course.

Thank you very much for your help!

Robin

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Robin,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to pursue a degree in Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College London. It is definitely a challenging and rewarding field, and I can understand your concerns about the difficulty of getting an offer from such a prestigious institution.

As a scientist with experience in the field of aeronautics, I can assure you that the next 2 years will indeed be challenging, but it will also be a time of great growth and learning. I would highly recommend reaching out to current students or alumni of the Aeronautical Engineering program at Imperial College London to get a better understanding of the course and their experiences.

In terms of keeping yourself motivated and on track, it is important to set specific goals and create a study plan that works for you. This may involve allocating specific time for studying, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and finding a support system to keep you motivated during difficult times.

Additionally, it is crucial to gain practical experience outside of school. This can include internships, research projects, or participating in extracurricular activities related to aeronautics. Not only will this help you stand out in your application, but it will also give you a better understanding of the industry and help you develop important skills.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help and support when needed. Whether it's from a study partner or a mentor, having someone to share your experiences and challenges with can make a big difference.

I wish you all the best in your journey towards becoming an Aeronautical Engineer and am confident that with hard work and determination, you will achieve your goals.

Best of luck,

1. What are the top universities in the UK for aerospace/aeronautics?

Some of the top universities in the UK for aerospace/aeronautics include Imperial College London, University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, and University of Bristol.

2. What qualifications do I need to apply for an aerospace/aeronautics program in the UK?

Most universities in the UK require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some programs may also require specific A-level subjects such as Further Mathematics or Design and Technology.

3. Is work experience necessary for admission to an aerospace/aeronautics program in the UK?

While not always required, work experience in the field of aerospace or engineering can greatly enhance your application and demonstrate your interest and commitment to the subject.

4. What international student scholarships are available for aerospace/aeronautics programs in the UK?

There are several scholarships available for international students pursuing aerospace/aeronautics programs in the UK, such as the Chevening Scholarship and the Commonwealth Scholarship. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on.

5. Are there any specific language requirements for international students applying for aerospace/aeronautics programs in the UK?

Most universities in the UK require international students to have a certain level of proficiency in the English language, such as a minimum score on the IELTS or TOEFL exams. It is important to check the specific language requirements for each university you are applying to.