Study Abroad in CA: Get Into Honours Program at Caltech

In summary: It's really difficult to answer this question without more information about your academic and extracurricular achievements. However, some reasons students choose Caltech include its strong physics and mathematics programs, its internationally recognized research, and its large undergraduate population.
SeReNiTy
Hi I'm currently a undergraduate student in Australia. I was wondering what was the best way to get into a honours program in a university like Caltech?

Physics news on Phys.org
Be one of the top students in the country?

for caltech
Transfer Students

* Total number of transfer students who applied: 188
* Total number of transfer students who were admitted: 15Less than 10% admitted...

For undergrad, what about Harvey Mudd?
Transfer Students

* Total number of transfer students who applied: 68
* Total number of transfer students who were admitted: 10

Can you guys give me a benchmark to compare with? I need to know if these ambitions of mine are mere pipe dreams...

If you want to get into caltech, you should be able to use google :-p

You're probably busy, and I'm not...

Ok, here is a normal state university (Arizona State Univeristy).

Transfer Students

* Total number of transfer students who applied: 7,413
* Total number of transfer students who were admitted: 6,491

Do you only want to transfer to Caltech? If so why?
-or-
Do you only want to transfer to a school in California? If so why?

If not, than you have a lot more choices, some good colleges accept a lot of transfer students.

SeReNiTy said:
Can you guys give me a benchmark to compare with? I need to know if these ambitions of mine are mere pipe dreams...

If you are even considering the idea that they are pipe dreams, then they probably are. If you aren't straight A, top of the class, local hero, etc etc, you will probably have a big fight on your hands.

Pengwuino said:
If you are even considering the idea that they are pipe dreams, then they probably are. If you aren't straight A, top of the class, local hero, etc etc, you will probably have a big fight on your hands.

I want to study physics and maths at caltech, academically I'm doing fine, I'm just worried about tuition fees and accomodation fees, i want a scholarship. How do i go about entering? I heard you got to sit a entrance exam on american history and english etc...true?

Well domestic applications is simply an application and nothing else really. I'm really not sure what foreign applicants need however. It will say on their website.

Mind you, "fine" is not going to cut it. We're talking about one of the top universities on this planet. I mean an 8% admission rate... and most people won't even apply knowing they can't get in.

I would like to know, why do you have your mind set on going to Caltech and no other colleges?

Related to Study Abroad in CA: Get Into Honours Program at Caltech

1. What is the purpose of studying abroad at Caltech's Honours Program?

The purpose of studying abroad at Caltech's Honours Program is to gain a unique and rigorous academic experience in one of the world's top universities, while also immersing oneself in a diverse and vibrant community.

2. What are the requirements for getting into Caltech's Honours Program?

To be considered for the Honours Program at Caltech, students must have a strong academic record, exceptional letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. They must also demonstrate a passion for their chosen field and have completed challenging coursework in relevant subjects.

3. How long is the Honours Program at Caltech?

The Honours Program at Caltech is a four-year program, with students typically completing their first two years at their home institution and the remaining two years at Caltech.

4. What are the benefits of studying abroad at Caltech's Honours Program?

Studying abroad at Caltech's Honours Program offers numerous benefits, including access to top-notch faculty and resources, a diverse and international student body, and the opportunity to enhance one's academic and personal growth through challenging coursework and research opportunities.

5. Can international students apply to Caltech's Honours Program?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply to Caltech's Honours Program. However, they must meet the same academic and application requirements as domestic students and must also have a strong command of the English language.