Study Findings: Diabetes Can be Put into Remission w/ Diet

In summary: I walk an hour a day (or 5k) and do a combination of strength and cardio workouts. I'm not diabetic, I'm pre-diabetic.
kyphysics
Some people with Type 2 http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/health/diabetes.htm were able to put the disease in remission without medication by following a rigorous diet plan, according to a study published today in the Lancet medical journal.

"Our findings suggest that even if you have had Type 2 diabetes for six years, putting the disease into remission is feasible," Michael Lean, a professor from the University of Glasgow in Scotland who co-led the study, said in a statement.

The researchers looked at 149 participants who have had Type 2 diabetes for up to six years and monitored them closely as they underwent a liquid diet that provided only 825 to 853 calories per day for three to five months. The participants were then reintroduced to solid food and maintained a structured diet until the end of the yearlong study.

The researchers found that almost half of the participants (68 total) were able to put their diabetes in remission without the use of medication after one year. In addition, those who undertook the study also lost an average of more than 20 pounds. Thirty-two of the 149 participants in the study, however, dropped out of the program.

source
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/rigorous-diet-put-type-2-diabetes-remission-study-125809223--abc-news-wellness.html

Likes jim mcnamara
Biology news on Phys.org
Interesting, read it earlier.

One of the standards for remission/diagnosis of Type II is a normal/abnormal a1c hemoglobin test. The people on the reduced calorie diet reversed a1c values, which is interesting. The clinicians I knew back when all felt that type II was a one way street with no uturns allowed. The reason they gave was that the patients had developed insulin resistance - their own cells no longer responded to insulin messages sent by the pancreas.

a1c is a marker for long term blood glucose levels. Normal test result is ~4.0 -> 5.6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycated_hemoglobin
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)33102-1/fulltext?elsca1=tlpr

Likes Evo
Not to mention that they lowered the number that made you diabetic. I was borderline, then they lowered the number, which suddenly made me diabetic, but I went on a low carb diet which lowered my number which made me pre-diabetic. Then I went on a high carb heart healthy diet which then made me diabetic, so I went back on a low carb diet which made me pre-diabetic again.

Anyway, my numbers are so borderline, it doesn't really matter. It's like it's a game. For my heart, I've had both a nuclear stress test and a calcium count due to extremely high cholesterol, but most of that is HDL, which they are now saying is not good. My calcium count was so low, I have the arteries of a healthy 13 year old. My doctor was floored, he was so worried and had me worried. I think it has to do with what I eat, the things I eat prevent the cholesterol from forming hard plaque. Probably thanks to my mom, French Mediterranean, she raised me no fat, lots of beans, not much meat, lots of fish.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
Wow, 850 calories per day. Makes me hangry just thinking about that.

I'm high risk for type 2 (95% chance) and put pre-diabetes into remission with diet and exercise, mostly exercise. 1200 calories per day is about as low as I can go. The doc is real happy with my moderate weight loss (15 lbs) and improvements in FPG and A1C. My twin has also made great strides as a type 2 through diet and exercise, again mostly exercise.

Our personal theory is that the human body (at least our two specimens) were not designed to be as sedentary as we had become in modern American life. Exercise is not quite as easy to quantify as calorie intake, but various technologies are making it easier. We both have specific weekly goals set in consultation with are medical advisers. Meeting these goals has brought a level of control that surprised our doctors and won their approval to reducing or eliminating various drugs.

@Evo - the guidelines at NIH are reasonably clear. "cholesterol" is an aggregate number - LDL-C plus HDL-C. Triglycerides are also of interest. Really high HDL-C is a genetic problem, a genetic variant within the gene SCARB1:
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...lesterol-doesnt-protect-against-heart-disease

SCARB1 variants do not work the way "normal" SCARB1 works: Normally HDL-C acts to reduce arterial plaque. The variant works the wrong way and increases plaque. Clearly, if your arteries are plaque free your HDL-C is okay. Those numbers are as you know guidelines for physicians, who then interpret data based on their clinical experience. You may see an "NCS" on your personal chart next to a data item. NCS==clinical override, "Not Clinically Significant"

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy, Evo and BillTre
I too am pre-diabetic. Since cutting out virtually all sugar and most carbohydrates for a year+ my glucose is down fifty points to around 115 . I've dropped thirty pounds to within 5 pounds of my high school weight.
Not on insulin yet.

But my arteries seem to clog up. Here's hoping that'll stop too with the diet change.

Good Luck , Evo !

old jim

Old Jim,
you are on the right path! Try to bring up your heart rate to 120/min for 20 minutes, at least three times a week. Your cholesterol levels will slowly shift over to the healthy spectrum.
Cheers, Hanni5

Likes jim hardy
Thanks Hanni. I fell off the wagon for a couple weeks but am back now on the regimen. Glucose readings show it, back up to 150 range.

Am going to ask doc about Metformin.
I have a good friend with similar diabetic predisposition who's using it . Interestingly her ancestry is also north European , we have the same sun-intolerant skin and both grew up in Miami...

Doc seemed pleased at followup from last year's stents. The pacemaker recorded four recent 'events' that correlated with my climbing around the junkyard after truck parts and splitting firewood with an 8 pound maul . Oak splits easy but ooohhh that elm !

old jim

This is not a medical advice of course...Metformin is one of the oldest and best diabetes drugs. Side effects are very rare. But even with Metformin you will still have to restrict/avoid starchy food intake. The hardest part of being pre-diabetic/type 2 diabetic! :)
Cheers and good luck!

1. How was the study conducted?

The study was a randomized controlled trial where participants were assigned to either an intervention group, where they followed a specific diet plan, or a control group, where they received standard care. The study was conducted over a period of 12 months and the participants' progress was monitored regularly.

2. What was the specific diet plan used in the study?

The diet plan used in the study was a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate diet. Participants were instructed to limit their daily calorie intake to 825-853 calories and their carbohydrate intake to 50 grams per day. The diet also included 3-4 servings of non-starchy vegetables, 2-3 servings of liquid meal replacements, and 1-2 servings of high-protein foods per day.

3. What were the results of the study?

The study found that 46% of the participants in the intervention group were able to achieve remission of their diabetes, compared to only 4% in the control group. The participants in the intervention group also saw significant improvements in their blood sugar levels, body weight, and blood pressure.

4. How does this study contribute to our understanding of diabetes?

This study adds to the growing body of evidence that shows the potential for diet to be an effective tool in managing and even reversing type 2 diabetes. It also highlights the importance of reducing calorie and carbohydrate intake in order to achieve remission.

5. What are the implications of these findings for individuals with diabetes?

These findings suggest that individuals with type 2 diabetes may be able to achieve remission through dietary changes, rather than relying solely on medication. It also emphasizes the importance of making lifestyle changes to manage diabetes and prevent complications. However, it is important for individuals to consult with their healthcare provider before making any significant changes to their diet or treatment plan.