Study Methods Poll for Upper Math.

In summary, I recommend mastering the chapter first before attempting the exercises when studying upper level math.
jmjlt88
Browsing through the archives here, I have seen many, "how do you study for upper math?" threads. This is not so much one of those thread, but rather a poll question.

When approaching a new subject in mathematics, do you...

(a) Master the chapter first (this includes develop a deep understanding of the theorems, trying to prove them yourself before glancing at the proof, constructing examples and counterexamples, explaining concepts very carefully in your own words, etc, etc), then attempt the exercises,

or

(b) Try to work the chapter and the exercises in tandem.

I have notice that I used both. Sometimes I will learn the first defintion/propostion of a chapter, then find some appropiate exercises. But, I feel that I have had less fustration using (a) since I have been acquinted with the material for longer.

I would enjoy to read your views. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I believe in taking a systematic and thorough approach to studying any subject, including mathematics. Therefore, my recommendation would be to follow option (a) and master the chapter first before attempting the exercises. This approach allows for a deeper understanding of the concepts and theorems, which is crucial for success in mathematics.

I understand the appeal of working through the exercises while learning the material, as it can provide immediate practice and reinforcement. However, I have found that without a solid understanding of the underlying concepts, it can lead to frustration and potentially incorrect solutions.

In my experience, taking the time to fully comprehend the material before attempting the exercises has not only helped me to successfully complete the exercises, but also to retain the information for future use. This includes developing a deep understanding of the theorems, attempting to prove them on my own, and constructing examples and counterexamples to solidify my understanding.

Of course, every individual may have a different learning style and may find success with a different approach. However, as a scientist, I believe in the importance of mastering the fundamentals before moving on to more complex problems.

1. What is the purpose of conducting a study methods poll for upper math?

The purpose of conducting a study methods poll for upper math is to gather information about the most effective study methods used by students in upper-level math courses. This information can then be used to improve teaching methods and help students succeed in their coursework.

2. How will the study methods poll be conducted?

The study methods poll will be conducted through an online survey or questionnaire, which will be distributed to students enrolled in upper-level math courses. The survey will ask about study habits, preferred learning styles, and other relevant information related to studying for math courses.

3. Who will be included in the study methods poll?

The study methods poll will include students enrolled in upper-level math courses, such as calculus, algebra, statistics, and other advanced math courses. Both undergraduate and graduate students may be included in the poll.

4. What types of questions will be included in the study methods poll?

The study methods poll may include questions about study habits, preferred learning styles, resources used for studying, time management strategies, and any other factors that may affect a student's success in upper-level math courses.

5. How will the results of the study methods poll be used?

The results of the study methods poll will be analyzed to identify common trends and patterns among students who are successful in upper-level math courses. This information can then be used to develop strategies and resources to help students improve their study habits and achieve better grades in their math courses.