Studying limits and continuity of multi variabled functions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to limits and continuity at the origin. The first question involves studying the limit at the origin of (xy^2)/(x^2+y^4) and the second question involves studying the continuity and existence of iterated limits at the origin for two functions. The conversation also includes attempts at solving these questions, such as converting to polar coordinates and using substitution to find sequences that converge to 0. The method of using sequences to prove a limit doesn't exist is also discussed.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

I have a couple of related questions on this topic which are causing confusion at the moment!
a) Study the limit at the origin of: (xy^2)/(x^2+y^4)

b) Study the continuity at the origin and the existence of the iterated limits at the origin of:
i) f(x,y) = { x^2 sin(1/y), y=/= 0
{ x^2 , y=0
ii) f(x,y) = { (x^2 y^2)/(x^2 y^2 + (y-x)^2), (x,y)=/=(0,0)
{ 0 , (x,y)=(0,0)
(I hope it is clear notation in b) to see that these functions take one value for certain parameters, and another for a different parameter.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My first thought here was converting it to polar coordinates, ((r,T) for typing ease) but this made the expression rather more horrendous: f(r,T) = r^3cosT(sinT)^2/(r^2(cosT)^2 + r^4(sinT)^4 which I don't think is helpful in any way, unless I am missing some handy trig identities.
I then thought about going from the definition and took the modulus of the expression. Now, is it true that |f(x,y)| <= |x|? If so then I am done as that tends to 0 and there is my limit. We are supposed to study iterated limits as well, but these seem to be undefined here (giving 0/0 each time, don't they?) so I haven't done that.

b)i)The iterated limit as x-->0 is 0, but the limit as y->0 is undefined, or so I believe. (although multiplying top and bottom by y gives the limit as yx^2, which ->0 as y->0?) To find out if it is continuous, study the limit. As the iterated doesn't exist, study the double/'normal' limit. I don't really know where to go from here, to be honest. But if that bracket is true, then the iterated limit is zero, but the value of the function at zero is x^2 so it is not continuous there?

ii)I'm afraid I really don't know what to do here. Conversion to polar coordinates looks fruitless and the iterated limits are undefined at the origin.

I hope I have given enough information and attempts! This is my first post at Physics Forums, so I apologise for any omissions.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conversion to polar coords is in this situation almost never a good idea. It just makes things complicated. :cry:

For the first limit, consider the sequence [tex](\frac{1}{n^2},\frac{1}{n})[/tex]. Does the image of this sequence converge?

Try solving the rest by this method...

Um, substituting in x=1/n and y=1/(n^2) gives n^5 + n^-1 which does converge as n->0 so this limit exists and is zero.

The second one gives the sint/t identity, so has a limit 1, as n->0 but the limit at the origin is x^2 so this is not continuous. What about iterated limits here? As the question says "study continuity and iterated limits"

The third gives a polynomial on the top and bottom : n^6 +x^4 -1.5x^3 / x^6
So a poly on top and a poly on bottom means both cts, and converge to limit 0 so is cts at 0 (l'hopital here I imagine.)

Just realized I've done (1/n^2 , 1/n) but it appears to work better that way for bi anyway. Also, can I just ask what the motivation is behind using this method, as I would never have thought to do that!

Last edited:
This method is only for proving that a limit doesn't exist. If you find a sequence that converges to 0, but the image of that sequence doesn't converge to 0, then the limit doesn't exist.

To show that the limit does exist, requires a bit more creativity...

Related to Studying limits and continuity of multi variabled functions

1. What are the basic concepts of studying limits and continuity of multi-variable functions?

The basic concepts of studying limits and continuity of multi-variable functions include the idea of approaching a point or value from different directions, understanding the behavior of a function at a specific point, and determining whether a function is continuous or discontinuous.

2. How do you find the limit of a multi-variable function?

To find the limit of a multi-variable function, you must evaluate the function as the variables approach the given point. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation, factoring, or substitution. You can also use graphs or tables to visualize the behavior of the function.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the variables approach a point from one specific direction, either from the left or right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function from both directions, and the limit only exists if the values from both directions approach the same value.

4. How do you determine if a multi-variable function is continuous?

A multi-variable function is continuous if the limit of the function exists at a given point and is equal to the value of the function at that point. Additionally, the function must be defined at that point and there should be no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying limits and continuity of multi-variable functions?

The study of limits and continuity of multi-variable functions is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object, while in economics, it is used to determine the maximum profit of a company. It is also used in computer graphics to create smooth and continuous images, and in medicine to analyze the flow of blood through blood vessels.