Stumped on a box on cart action/reaction pair question

In summary: Box A. The first pair is the normal force and weight of the box acting on the cart. The second pair is the static friction force of the box acting on the cart, and the static friction force of the cart acting on the box. It is important to note that weight and normal force are not action/reaction pairs because weight involves the Earth, while normal force does not. Another important point is that the directions of the friction forces are opposite, with the cart exerting a force to the right on the box and the box exerting a force to the left on the cart.
KrazySocoKid

Homework Statement

Consider a box sitting on cart. When the cart is pulled with a force, P, the box A moves with the cart without slipping. In all questions, assume there is a negligible amount of drag. There is, however, kinetic friction between the cart and ground.
What are the two sets of action/reaction pairs between the cart and Box A?

Homework Equations

I don't think there is any equations that really relate to this. This is just testing my knowledge of action/reaction pairs.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I definitely had one, weight and normal force. The weight of the box acting on the cart and normal force of the cart pushing up on the box. But now I'm questioning if that's even an action/reaction pair because weight is between the Earth and the box right? And then for the 2nd one, I'm thinking static friction, because the box isn't slipping. But then what is the friction's partner? Is it the air pushing on it from the movement? I know this problem is very simple, it's just stumping me to no end. I don't know if I'm making it too complicated in my head or what. Can someone help clear it up for me?
Thanks![/B]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I think I have one nailed down. One pair is the force of the cart acting upward on the box (normal force) and the equal and opposite force of the box acting downward on the cart. Now I just need help determining the second action-reaction pair, and I believe it has something to do with static friction!

Okay actually I think I got it. Now it would be nice if someone just doubled checked my answer. Is the second action reaction pair: Friction force of box acting on cart pointing to the right, and friction force of cart acting on box pointing to the left?

Hi,
I am actually working on this problem too. I can't tell for sure if you're right, but I think your first one adds up because it's acting on 2 different objects and it's in the opposite direction. For the second one, I was just wondering where the pulling force is supposed to come in? Could there be a pulling force on the cart and friction on the box to keep it from moving?

I'm not sure if you are actually in my class haha, but if you look at the handout the hint says that the force, P is only applied to the cart, so it doesn't pull Box A. So we can disregard the pull, because it only acts on the cart, not the box.

Or is there pulling force on the cart and static friction on cart to the ground?

The handout specifies action/reaction pairs between the cart and box, so I don't think we can bring the ground into it. I think the two pairs are: Force of cart pushing up on box (normal force), force of box pushing down on cart (NOT weight, that's important) and then friction of cart acting on box pointing to the left, friction of box acting on cart pointing to the right.

Okay, you're probably right about us not being able to bring the ground into this. Okay so now I am wondering why the force of the box pushing down on the cart can't be weight? What force would that be if it can't be weight?

It's like the exact same thing as normal force, but just the opposite and equal reaction. Weight has to do with Earth acting on an object. Normal force and weight aren't action/reaction pairs because the Earth has nothing to do with normal force, but everything to do with weight. So the force I'm talking about, the box acting on cart, is just the opposite of normal force.

Likes SweetieK11
It would be cool if I could get a confirmation on this too, but I'm 90% sure that's right.

Okay thank you for explaining that. I'm sorry that this is your question and I'm not being completely helpful. Hopefully someone can confirm this though.

No problem. So I guess we are in the same class? I'll see you tomorrow then, internet stranger haha

Haha you wouldn't even know it's me, but I did have the class today at 9 a.m.

Your answers in posts 2 and 3 are both correct, except, in post 3, you have the directions reversed. The cart exerts a friction force to the right on the box (it is trying to accelerate the box to the right), and the box exerts a friction force to the left on the cart.

Chet

1. What is the concept of action-reaction pairs?

The concept of action-reaction pairs is based on Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How do I identify action-reaction pairs in a given scenario?

To identify action-reaction pairs, you need to look for two objects that are interacting with each other. The force exerted by one object on the other will be in the opposite direction of the force exerted by the second object on the first. For example, in a box on a cart scenario, the box exerts a downward force on the cart, while the cart exerts an upward force on the box.

3. Can action-reaction pairs cancel each other out?

No, action-reaction pairs cannot cancel each other out. While the forces may be equal and opposite, they are acting on different objects and therefore cannot cancel each other out. In the box on a cart scenario, the box may exert a downward force on the cart, but the cart does not move because the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on the cart, keeping it in place.

4. How do action-reaction pairs affect the motion of objects?

Action-reaction pairs do not affect the motion of objects in the same way. The forces may be equal and opposite, but they act on different objects, so the motion of each object will depend on its mass and the net force acting on it. In the box on a cart scenario, the cart may move in one direction while the box moves in the opposite direction, depending on their masses and the forces acting on them.

5. Can action-reaction pairs be seen in everyday scenarios?

Yes, action-reaction pairs can be seen in everyday scenarios. For example, when you push against a wall, the wall exerts an equal and opposite force back on you, keeping you from moving. This is an action-reaction pair. Similarly, when you walk, your feet push against the ground, and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force, propelling you forward.