Style for references and bibliography

In summary, there is no general standard among peer-reviewed journals for the order of references in a bibliography or reference list. Each journal has its own guidelines for this, which should be clearly stated. Modern software allows for easy formatting changes to meet these requirements. The order of references typically depends on how in-text citations are handled, with numbered references being listed in order of appearance and references with author names being listed alphabetically.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I have found that the bibliographies in my professional peer-reivewed print journals all follow the guidelines for the order as given in the standard style guides (Chicago, MLA, APA, etc.) : that is, in the alphabetical order of the surnames. However, in arXiv articles (which are not peer-reviewed but often end up as such elsewhere) I see a lot of reference lists which list the references in the order in which they appear in the text, without regard to alphabetical order. Is this only due to the difference between a bibliography and a reference list? I know that each journal has its own druthers, but is there any general standard among peer-reviewed journals?

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
is there any general standard among peer-reviewed journals?

Not really. Every journal seems to have its own standards for these kinds of things - and they should be spelled out in the journal guidelines.

Fortunately modern software allows you to pretty easily change formats to suit the requirements.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Choppy.

Usually depends how in text citations are handled. If referenced are numbered (e.g. It was previously shown that X does Y [1]), then the bibliography tends to be in order of appearance. If references use author names (e.g. It was previously shown that X does Y (Doe et al. 2017)), then the bibliography tends to be organized alphabetically.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, Ygggdrasil! I had never noticed this difference; I had asked a lot of people this question, and you are the first one to point it out. That explains a lot. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of a reference list?

The purpose of a reference list is to provide readers with a complete and accurate list of sources used in a research paper or document. This allows readers to easily locate and verify the information used in the paper.

2. What is the difference between a bibliography and a reference list?

A bibliography is a list of all the sources consulted in the process of researching and writing a paper, while a reference list is a list of only the sources cited in the paper. A bibliography may include sources that were not directly referenced, but were still used in the research process.

3. How do I format references in APA style?

In APA style, references should be formatted with the author's last name followed by their initials, the publication date, the title of the source, and the publication information. The exact format may vary depending on the type of source (e.g. book, journal article, website), so it's important to consult the APA style guide for specific guidelines.

4. Can I use online sources in my reference list?

Yes, online sources can be used in reference lists as long as they are reliable and credible. When citing online sources, it's important to include the URL and the date the source was accessed, as online content can change or be removed over time.

5. Do I need to include references for information that is common knowledge?

No, references are not needed for information that is considered common knowledge. This includes widely known facts, dates, and events that can be found in multiple sources without attribution.