Why Is the Mixed SU(2) Term Invariant in Scalar Multiplet Models?

In summary: So, the invariance of the potential is due to the fact that the terms in the potential are invariant under the bilinear transformation \left( \alpha^{a}T_{a}U \right)\alpha.
Ramtin123
Consider two arbitrary scalar multiplets ##\Phi## and ##\Psi## invariant under ##SU(2)\times U(1)##. When writing the potential for this model, in addition to the usual terms like ##\Phi^\dagger \Phi + (\Phi^\dagger \Phi)^2##, I often see in the literature, less usual terms like:
$$\Phi^\dagger T^a \Phi \ \Psi^\dagger t^a \Psi $$
where ##T^a## and ##t^a## are SU(2) generators in different representations.
See for an example eqn (4) in this paper

I am wondering why the above term is invariant under an SU(2) transformation?

Any helps or comments would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
PS: I was told that after a transformation of the form ##\Phi \to U \Phi## and similarly ##\Psi \to u \Psi##, we get:
$$\Phi ^\dagger T^a \Phi \to \Phi ^\dagger U^{-1} T^a U \Phi = ad(U)_b^a \ \Phi ^\dagger T^b \Phi$$
and similarly, for the term involving ##\Psi##. where ##ad(U)## is the adjoint representation of SU(2).

But I cannot work out how to eliminate the adjoint representations in the above expression to get back to the original term in the Lagrangian.

Ramtin123 said:
Consider two arbitrary scalar multiplets ##\Phi## and ##\Psi## invariant under ##SU(2)\times U(1)##. When writing the potential for this model, in addition to the usual terms like ##\Phi^\dagger \Phi + (\Phi^\dagger \Phi)^2##, I often see in the literature, less usual terms like:
$$\Phi^\dagger T^a \Phi \ \Psi^\dagger t^a \Psi $$
where ##T^a## and ##t^a## are SU(2) generators in different representations.
This is the scalar product of the two adjoint vectors

[tex]V_{a} \equiv \Psi^{\dagger}T_{a}\Psi, \ \ \mbox{and} \ \ v_{a} \equiv \psi^{\dagger}t_{a}\psi[/tex]

Now, if [tex]\Psi \to U(\alpha) \Psi = e^{-i\alpha^{a}T_{a}}\Psi,[/tex][tex]\psi \to u(\alpha)\psi = e^{-i\alpha^{a}t_{a}}\psi,[/tex] then [tex]V_{a}v_{a} \to \Psi^{\dagger} \left( U^{-1}T_{a}U \right)\Psi \ \psi^{\dagger}\left( u^{-1}t_{a}u\right) \psi.[/tex] Now, if you expand [itex]U^{-1}, U, u^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]u[/itex] and use the algebra, you find [tex]U^{-1}(\alpha)T_{a}U(\alpha) = D_{ab}(\alpha)T_{b},[/tex][tex]u^{-1}(\alpha)t_{a}u(\alpha) = D_{ac}(\alpha)t_{c},[/tex] where [tex]D_{bc}(\alpha) = \left( e^{-i\alpha^{a}J_{a}}\right)_{bc} = D_{cb}(- \alpha),[/tex] and [tex](J_{a})_{bc} = - i \epsilon_{abc}.[/tex] So, if you substitute these, you find [tex]V_{a}v_{a} \to D_{ab}(\alpha)D_{ac}(\alpha)V_{b}v_{c} = \left( D(- \alpha)D(\alpha)\right)_{bc} V_{b}v_{c} = \delta_{bc}V_{b}v_{c} = V_{c}v_{c}.[/tex]

Likes odietrich and Ramtin123

1. What is an SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian?

An SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian is a mathematical framework used in physics to describe the behavior of particles. It is based on the principles of symmetry and invariance, where the Lagrangian (a function that represents the energy of a system) remains the same under rotations in SU(2) space.

2. How is SU(2) Invariance related to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is based on the SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian, which describes the interactions between elementary particles and the fundamental forces of nature. SU(2) symmetry is a crucial component of the Standard Model and is necessary for the theory to accurately predict the behavior of particles.

3. Can you give an example of an SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian?

One example of an SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian is the Electroweak Lagrangian, which describes the unification of the electromagnetic and weak forces. This Lagrangian is based on the SU(2) symmetry and is a fundamental part of the Standard Model.

4. What is the significance of SU(2) Invariance in particle physics?

SU(2) Invariance is significant in particle physics because it allows for the prediction of the behavior of particles and their interactions with fundamental forces. It also provides a framework for understanding the symmetries and patterns in the universe at a fundamental level.

5. How is SU(2) Invariance tested in experiments?

SU(2) Invariance is tested in experiments by measuring the properties and behaviors of particles and comparing them to the predictions of the SU(2) Invariant Lagrangian. Any discrepancies between the two can indicate new physics beyond the Standard Model.