SU(3)-invariant Heisenberg XXX chain

In summary, the conversation discusses the SU(3) invariant XXX chain and its monodromy matrix, which can be decomposed into a 2x2 matrix. The system is considered integrable if it satisfies the Yang-Baxter relation with an R-matrix, which can be written as a specific form for the GL(N) case. However, there is confusion about the correct form of the R-matrix due to a suspected change of basis. Further help or clarification would be appreciated.
Maybe_Memorie
I'm studying the SU(3) invariant XXX chain as part of my Bachelor's thesis.

The monodromy matrix of this system can be written as a 3x3 matrix. We perform a 2x2 decomposition of it and write is as ##T(\mu)=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
A(\mu) & B(\mu) \\
C(\mu) & D (\mu)
\end{array} \right)##

For a system to be integrable it has an R-matrix which satisfies the Yang-Baxter relation. I don't know how to decompose the R-matrix though.

Kulish/Resithiken writes it as, for the GL(N) case,
##R(\mu)=\left( \begin{array}{cccc}
\mu & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \mu I & I & 0 \\
0 & I & \mu I & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & S(\mu)
\end{array} \right) ##
where I is the 2x2 identity matrix and S(u) is the SU(2) R-matrix.

The main reason this is confusing me is because when we write the Identity matrix and S(u) in the blocks we don't get the correct R-matrix, so i suspect there's a change of basis going on or something.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to SU(3)-invariant Heisenberg XXX chain

1. What is SU(3) symmetry?

SU(3) symmetry is a type of mathematical symmetry that describes the behavior of physical systems under rotations and transformations in three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. What is a Heisenberg XXX chain?

A Heisenberg XXX chain is a one-dimensional quantum mechanical model that describes the interactions between spins in a system. In this model, each particle has a spin that can be either "up" or "down", and the interactions between spins are described by the Heisenberg Hamiltonian.

3. How does SU(3) symmetry affect the behavior of the Heisenberg XXX chain?

The SU(3) symmetry in the Heisenberg XXX chain means that the Hamiltonian remains unchanged under rotations and transformations in three-dimensional space. This symmetry affects the energy levels and the dynamics of the system, leading to interesting phenomena such as the formation of bound states and the emergence of collective excitations.

4. What is the importance of studying SU(3)-invariant Heisenberg XXX chains?

Studying SU(3)-invariant Heisenberg XXX chains is important for understanding the behavior of quantum systems with strong interactions. These systems have applications in condensed matter physics, quantum information processing, and high-energy physics. They also provide insights into the behavior of more complex systems.

5. How are SU(3)-invariant Heisenberg XXX chains studied?

SU(3)-invariant Heisenberg XXX chains are studied using a combination of analytical and numerical methods. These include mean-field theory, exact diagonalization, and quantum Monte Carlo simulations. These techniques allow scientists to calculate the energy levels, ground state properties, and the behavior of excitations in the system.