Subgroup wth morphism into itself

• Thread starter mnb96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a morphism that behaves as an endomorphism on a given subset of a semigroup. It is similar to the concept of a retract homomorphism, but with a slightly weaker condition. The goal is to define a homomorphism on a semigroup that satisfies the equation x*f(x)=k for all elements in a specified sub-semigroup. This is not a known concept and is being compared to the concept of ideals for rings.
mnb96
Hello,
given a (semi)group [tex]A[/tex] and a sub-(semi)group [tex]S\leq A[/tex], I want to define a morphism [tex]f:A\rightarrow A[/tex] such that [tex]f(s)\in S[/tex], for every [tex]s \in S[/tex].
Essentially it is an ordinary morphism, but for the elements in [tex]S[/tex] it has to behave as an endomorphism.
Is this a known concept? does it have already a name? or can it be expressed more compactly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've not heard of such a morphism. But note that I'm not a seasoned mathematician. I'm just curious about what you would like to show. Of course, the identity mapping restricted to S would be an example of the kind of mapping that you want to construct.

Are you trying to make an analogue of ideals for rings?

...it seems, the example you gave of a "homomorphism on S which behaves as an identity-mapping on an ideal K" has in fact a name: retract homomorphism

see: http://books.google.fi/books?id=Bmy...o7jJBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

What I want to achieve is slightly weaker:
I want to define a homomorphism [tex]f:S\rightarrow S[/tex] on a semigroup [tex](S,*)[/tex] such that for a given sub-semigroup K of S, one has [tex]x*f(x)=k[/tex] (for every [tex]x\in K[/tex]) where k is a fixed element (not necessarily the identity). Note that if k was the identity f would be the inversion operator.

Last edited:

Related to Subgroup wth morphism into itself

What is a subgroup with morphism into itself?

A subgroup with morphism into itself is a subgroup of a group that has a homomorphism from the subgroup to itself. This means that the operation of the subgroup is preserved under the morphism, making it a closed and well-defined structure within the larger group.

What is the significance of a subgroup with morphism into itself?

A subgroup with morphism into itself is significant because it allows for the study of group actions on themselves. This can provide insight into the structure and properties of the larger group, and can also be used to prove the existence of certain subgroups within a group.

How is a subgroup with morphism into itself different from a normal subgroup?

A subgroup with morphism into itself is not necessarily a normal subgroup. While a normal subgroup has the property that it is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group, a subgroup with morphism into itself only has to be invariant under the specific homomorphism.

What are some examples of subgroups with morphism into itself?

An example of a subgroup with morphism into itself is the center of a group, where the homomorphism maps every element to itself. Another example is the subgroup of even permutations in the symmetric group, where the homomorphism maps every permutation to its sign.

How is a subgroup with morphism into itself relevant to other fields of science?

A subgroup with morphism into itself has applications in various fields of science, such as abstract algebra, group theory, and topology. It can also be used in computer science for encryption and coding theory. Additionally, the concept of subgroups with morphism into itself has connections to symmetry and symmetry breaking in physics and chemistry.