Submerged Diver Apparent Height

In summary, the problem involves finding the apparent height of a diver standing submerged in a swimming pool while being viewed from above. The concept of apparent depth is key, as the difference between the apparent depths of the diver's head and feet will give the apparent height. The formula D = 2h tan theta c can be used, where h is the depth of the water and theta c is the angle of refraction at the water-air boundary. Additional research on "apparent depth" can provide further insight and understanding of the problem.
Nevertheless

Homework Statement

A 151 -tall diver is standing completely submerged on the bottom of a swimming pool full of water. You are sitting on the end of the diving board, almost directly over her. How tall does the diver appear to be?

Homework Equations

n1sin theta1= n2 sin theta2 ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I do not even know where to begin... so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about apparent depth? The diver's head is at an apparent depth and so are her feet. The difference between apparent depths is the diver's apparent height.

So after reading my book I found something that talks about a diver. The problem is it talks about finding the diameter of the circle of which you can see in the water. D= 2h tan theta c. Theta c= sin^-1 (1.00/1.33) for the water air boundary and h is the depth of water. This is all I can find even close to the problem in the book. In the problem however we are not given any information about the angle just that he is right above. If he is at at 90 degree angle I don't see how he can tell a height at all. He would just see his head. I don't have any information about the depth of the water or the apparent depth of the diver. So I am really frustrated with this problem.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I seriously have tried everything! I am really confused on why my book does not have the formula in it. But thank you again.

What is Submerged Diver Apparent Height?

Submerged Diver Apparent Height refers to the perceived height of a diver when viewed from above the water's surface. This height is affected by the refraction of light as it passes through the water, making the diver appear higher or lower than their actual height.

What factors can affect Submerged Diver Apparent Height?

The main factors that can affect Submerged Diver Apparent Height are the angle of observation, the depth of the water, and the clarity of the water. The angle of observation refers to the angle at which the diver is viewed from above the water. The depth of the water affects the amount of refraction that occurs, and the clarity of the water determines how much distortion there is in the perception of the diver's height.

How is Submerged Diver Apparent Height calculated?

The calculation of Submerged Diver Apparent Height involves using Snell's Law, which relates the angle of incidence and refraction of light as it passes through a medium. This calculation takes into account the angle of observation, the depth of the water, and the refractive index of the water.

Why is understanding Submerged Diver Apparent Height important?

Understanding Submerged Diver Apparent Height is important for various reasons. It can affect the accuracy of measurements and observations made by divers, as well as the safety of diving operations. It is also important for underwater photography and videography, as it can impact the composition and framing of shots.

How can Submerged Diver Apparent Height be minimized?

To minimize the effect of Submerged Diver Apparent Height, divers can use techniques such as adjusting their body position and wearing specialized masks or goggles that correct for refraction. Additionally, understanding the factors that affect Submerged Diver Apparent Height can help divers make more accurate estimations and observations while underwater.