Subset of the domain for the transformation to be invariant

In summary, the invariant points are all points on the y-axis and the invariant lines are the y-axis and the lines that pass through the origin and are parallel to the y-axis.
songoku
Homework Statement
Given transformation matrix M : ##\mathbb R^2 \rightarrow \mathbb R^2##
$$\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Describe the subset of the domain for the transformation to be invariant
Relevant Equations
##M \begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{pmatrix}
= \begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{pmatrix}##
I found that the
a) invariant points are all points on y-axis
b) invariant lines are y-axis and ##y=c## where ##c## is real

I am confused what the final answer should be. How to state the answer as "subset of domain"? Is it:
$$\{x,y \in \mathbb R^2 | (0, y) , x = 0, y=c\}$$

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The invariant points are the y-axis. You can express this in set notation a number of ways. Perhaps the simplest is:
$$\{(x,y) \in \mathbb R^2 | x = 0\}$$PS That's for part a).

Last edited:
Likes songoku
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Given transformation matrix M : ##\mathbb R^2 \rightarrow \mathbb R^2##
$$\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Describe the subset of the domain for the transformation to be invariant
Relevant Equations:: ##M \begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{pmatrix}
= \begin{pmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{pmatrix}##

I found that the
a) invariant points are all points on y-axis
b) invariant lines are y-axis and ##y=c## where ##c## is real

I am confused what the final answer should be. How to state the answer as "subset of domain"? Is it:
$$\{x,y \in \mathbb R^2 | (0, y) , x = 0, y=c\}$$

Thanks
You are right that there are two different types of sets, the y-axis, and all horizontal lines because the transformation is a reflection at the y-axis. So the question is problematic as it asks for one set when there are infinitely many. There are even four types because the entire space is invariant, too. And the word subspace normally does not exclude equality. And then there is the zero.

My answer would be
$$
\{(0,0)\}\, , \,\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2\,|\,x=0\} \, , \,\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2\,|\,y=c\}\;(c\in \mathbb{R})\, , \,\mathbb{R}^2.
$$

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
The invariant points are the y-axis. You can express this in set notation a number of ways. Perhaps the simplest is:
$$\{(x,y) \in \mathbb R^2 | x = 0\}$$
Invariant points (eigen vectors) and invariant subspaces are two different things.

fresh_42 said:
You are right that there are two different types of sets, the y-axis, and all horizontal lines because the transformation is a reflection at the y-axis. So the question is problematic as it asks for one set when there are infinitely many. There are even four types because the entire space is invariant, too. And the word subspace normally does not exclude equality. And then there is the zero.

My answer would be
$$
\{(0,0)\}\, , \,\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2\,|\,x=0\} \, , \,\{(x,y)\in \mathbb{R}^2\,|\,y=c\}\;(c\in \mathbb{R})\, , \,\mathbb{R}^2.
$$
This I don't understand. For part b), unless we use a formalism for sets of lines, I wouldn't use set notation. I'd just say "the set of lines in the plane defined by ##y = c##, where ##c \in \mathbb R##; and the y-axis".

PeroK said:
This I don't understand. For part b), unless we use a formalism for sets of lines, I wouldn't use set notation. I'd just say "the set of lines in the plane defined by ##y = c##, where ##c \in \mathbb R##; and the y-axis".
Yes, my fault. Only ##\{(x,0)\}## is an invariant subspace as ##\{(x,c)\}## are no subspaces, only invariant sets, But invariant subsets are myriads more, every figure that coincides with its mirror image. The horizontal lines are only affine subspaces.

Thank you very much PeroK and fresh_42

1. What is a subset of the domain for a transformation to be invariant?

A subset of the domain for a transformation to be invariant is a set of values or elements within the larger set of values that remain unchanged after the transformation is applied.

2. Why is it important for a transformation to be invariant?

Invariance in a transformation ensures that certain properties or characteristics of the original set are preserved, making it easier to analyze and understand the data.

3. How do you determine the subset of the domain for a transformation to be invariant?

The subset of the domain for a transformation to be invariant can be determined by identifying the values or elements that remain unchanged after the transformation is applied. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by examining patterns in the data.

4. Can a transformation be invariant for one subset of the domain but not for another?

Yes, it is possible for a transformation to be invariant for one subset of the domain but not for another. This depends on the specific properties or characteristics of the subsets and how they are affected by the transformation.

5. What are some examples of transformations that are invariant for certain subsets of the domain?

Some examples of transformations that are invariant for certain subsets of the domain include translation, rotation, and reflection in geometry, as well as scaling and normalization in statistics.