Subtracting AC Voltages for Audio Amp Simulation

• Thread starter ntetlow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary, the article discusses how to calculate small signal amplification and provides a simulation to illustrate the process. The user is having difficulty finding the calculating the difference in the input voltages, V2 and V3 to verify the equation. They find that IC1 is 3.5 microamps and calculates V(2,3) as 0.000365 amps. They are then asked to help prove the equation correct. Ltspice can be used to measure the differential voltage between nodes 2 and 3. Zooming the plot window gives 42.5 uV Vpp.
ntetlow
TL;DR Summary
Subtracting input voltages input to long tail pair
I am studying the calculations made for small signal amplification with in the web article http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits_Audio_Amp/Basic_Amplifier/Basic_Audio_Amplifier.htm.
I have created the simulation for the basic amplifier in Ltspice (attached)
I'm having a problem finding the calculating the difference in the input voltages, V2 and V3 to verify the equation
ic1 = vin · 1/2 · gm1 = vin · 1/2 · 0.0192 = vin · 0.0096 (A/V)

My calculations so far give a value for IC1 as 3.5 microamps which would point to a value of V(2,3) as 0.000365 amps.
Please help me to prove this value correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
PS how do i attach a Ltspice asc file, the forum won't allow me?

ntetlow said:
PS how do i attach a Ltspice asc file, the forum won't allow me?
Rename it .txt and mention in the text of your post that it needs to be changed back to .asc to run it in LTSpice.

berkeman said:
Rename it .txt and mention in the text of your post that it needs to be changed back to .asc to run it in LTSpice.
this is an asc file

Attachments

• basic.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 99
That works.
Label your nodes 2 and 3.
To measure differential voltage from 2 to 3, run, then click and drag node 2 to node 3.
Zoom the plot window, that will give you; V(2,3) = 42.5 uV Vpp.

ntetlow said:
My calculations so far give a value for IC1 as 3.5 microamps which would point to a value of V(2,3) as 0.000365 amps.
Please help me to prove this value correct?
A voltage V(2,3) cannot have the unit amps.

Thank you. I didn't know you could do that to get the voltage difference.
According to the above equation stated (ic1 = vin · 1/2 · gm1 = vin · 1/2 · 0.0192 = vin · 0.0096 (A/V))
then ic1 should equal 42.5uV pp X 0.0096 which gives 4.08E-7V.
Looking at ltspice it is showing as 7.2uA pp, what do you think?

Thank you. I didn't know you could do that to get the voltage difference. According to the above equation stated (ic1 = vin · 1/2 · gm1 = vin · 1/2 · 0.0192 = vin · 0.0096 (A/V)) then ic1 should equal 42.5uV pp X 0.0096 which gives 4.08E-7V. Looking at ltspice it is showing as 7.2uA pp, what do you think?

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/subtract-ac-voltages.1015880/

1. What is the purpose of subtracting AC voltages for audio amp simulation?

Subtracting AC voltages is a technique used in audio amplifier simulation to remove the DC offset from the input signal. This helps to accurately model the behavior of the amplifier and prevent any distortion in the output signal.

2. How is the subtraction of AC voltages performed in audio amp simulation?

In audio amp simulation, the AC voltages are typically subtracted using a coupling capacitor or a differential amplifier. The capacitor blocks the DC component of the input signal, while the differential amplifier subtracts the DC offset from the input signal.

3. What are the benefits of subtracting AC voltages in audio amp simulation?

Subtracting AC voltages in audio amp simulation helps to improve the accuracy of the simulation and ensure that the output signal is free from any distortion. It also allows for a more precise analysis of the amplifier's behavior and performance.

4. Is subtracting AC voltages necessary for all audio amplifier simulations?

No, subtracting AC voltages is not always necessary for audio amplifier simulations. It is typically only required for simulations of amplifiers that have a significant DC offset in their input signal. For amplifiers with minimal DC offset, the subtraction may not have a significant impact on the simulation results.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to subtracting AC voltages in audio amp simulation?

One potential drawback of subtracting AC voltages in audio amp simulation is that it can introduce additional noise into the output signal. This can affect the accuracy of the simulation and may need to be carefully considered when designing the simulation setup.