Subtracting this vector - as opposed to adding it

In summary, the conversation is about finding the vector difference D = A - B, where A and B are vectors with x and y components given by A(x) = AcosTHETA, A(y) = AsinTHETA, B(x) = BcosTHETA, and B(y) = BsinTHETA. The attempt at a solution involved trying to use the formula F = A + B, but the signs of B were changed and multiplied in an attempt to find the correct solution. The correct solution was found by using the correct values for Bx and By, which were either 18cos(217°) or -18cos(37°), and for Ax and Ay, which were 12cos180 and
rpgnick85

Homework Statement

Sketch the vector difference D = A - B

I have found F = A + B.

Homework Equations

A(x) = AcosTHETA
A(y) = AsinTHETA
B(x) = BcosTHETA
A(y) = BsinTHETA

R = sqrt(rx^2 + ry^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

As opposed to the F = A + B I have tried changing the signs of B or multiplying B(x) = -BcosTHETA etcetera and I can't come with the right solution. Do I need to put the angle 37 degrees in the second quadrant? I am confused as how to find -B as A is going to be the same as the first equation (F = A + B).

Attachments

• Figure-01.37.jpg
    Figure-01.37.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
rpgnick85 said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the vector difference D = A - B

I have found F = A + B.

Homework Equations

A(x) = AcosTHETA
A(y) = AsinTHETA
B(x) = BcosTHETA
B(y) = BsinTHETA

R = sqrt(rx^2 + ry^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

As opposed to the F = A + B I have tried changing the signs of B or multiplying B(x) = -BcosTHETA etcetera and I can't come with the right solution. Do I need to put the angle 37 degrees in the second quadrant? I am confused as how to find -B as A is going to be the same as the first equation (F = A + B).
attachment.php?attachmentid=43021&d=1327282200.jpg

Hello rpgnick85. Welcome to PF !

You would have
-Bx = -Bcosθ

-By = -Bsinθ​
That puts -B in the third Quadrant, doesn't it?

-Bx = -Bcosθ

-By = -Bsinθ

Does that mean that I would do -18cos(217) for my first value?

rpgnick85 said:
-Bx = -Bcosθ

-By = -Bsinθ

Does that mean that I would do -18cos(217) for my first value?
No.

The x component of -B is either 18cos(217°) or -18cos(37°) .

alright so when i use -18cos37 and -18sin37 for my Bx and By values respectively and 12cos180 and 12sin180 for my Ax an Ay values I am coming up with R= 28.5126 and θ=22.33° which is incorrect

found the answer- was in the wrong quadrant

Related to Subtracting this vector - as opposed to adding it

1. What is the difference between subtracting and adding a vector?

When adding a vector, you are combining it with another vector to find the resulting vector. This is similar to moving in a certain direction and then changing direction. However, when subtracting a vector, you are finding the difference between two vectors. This is like moving in one direction and then moving back in the opposite direction.

2. How do I subtract a vector from another vector?

To subtract a vector, you need to find the negative of the vector you want to subtract and then add it to the other vector. This can be done by changing the direction of the vector and keeping the same magnitude.

3. Can I subtract vectors that are in different dimensions?

No, vectors can only be added or subtracted if they are in the same dimension. This means they must have the same number of components or directions.

4. What is the result of subtracting a vector from itself?

The result of subtracting a vector from itself is always a zero vector. This is because the negative of a vector is the same as the vector itself, so when you add them together, they cancel out.

5. How is vector subtraction used in real life?

Vector subtraction is used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and computer graphics. It is used to find the net force on an object, calculate displacement and velocity, and determine the direction and magnitude of a resulting vector from multiple forces acting on an object. In computer graphics, vector subtraction is used to create animations and simulations by calculating the difference between two positions or orientations.