Successful predictions from anthropics? (History of science question)

• I
  • Thread starter windy miller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Earth's distance from the sun being in a small Habitable Zone (HZ) and how this fortunate position could have been predicted based on the anthropic principle. However, it is not clear if anyone actually made this prediction and when the concept of HZ was first understood. The anthropic reasoning is also important in formulating scientific hypotheses and there is no agreement on how to sample this existence. Some believe that it is just us in the universe, while others continue to study exoplanets for possible signs of life.
windy miller
Earth's distance from the sun is said to lie in a small Habitable Zone (HZ) . How did it come to be in such a fortunate position? It seems that someone in the past could have asked this question and concluded on the basis of anthropics there must be a large number of planets in our galaxy. My question, did anyone actually make this prediction on that basis ? If so who and how old does the argument go back? I know Bruno speculated on other worlds and even the ancient atomists in Greece did but I doubt it was due to the HZ as that wasn't know at the time. Which brings to another question , how old is knowledge of the HZ?
Any help most welcome , thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
windy miller said:
Earth's distance from the sun is said to lie in a small Habitable Zone (HZ) . How did it come to be in such a fortunate position?
Another way of saying HZ is that the planets in the zone are more likely to spawn life. There may be several planets in the zone of a planetary system.

Think of a dart board. Throw 100 darts at it. Suppose one of the darts is in the bullseye, and you ask, "What is special about that dart that made it so fortunate?"

1670685443930.png

Likes 256bits
anorlunda said:
Another way of saying HZ is that the planets in the zone are more likely to spawn life. There may be several planets in the zone of a planetary system.

Think of a dart board. Throw 100 darts at it. Suppose one of the darts is in the bullseye, and you ask, "What is special about that dart that made it so fortunate?"

View attachment 318557
Thanks for taking the time to respond but my post was not really trying to have the concept of the HZ explained but rather to try and get some history . So the questions are
1. did anyone predict the existence of exoplanets based on athropics or not
2 if they did when did they?
3 when was the concept of the HZ first understood?

windy miller said:
Thanks for taking the time to respond but my post was not really trying to have the concept of the HZ explained but rather to try and get some history . So the questions are
1. did anyone predict the existence of exoplanets based on athropics or not
2 if they did when did they?
3 when was the concept of the HZ first understood?
windy, I dunno, but in case its any help (and it probably won't be lol), my thoughts:

1. I don't think so. The anthropic principle is something along the lines of: "the fact that we are here on a habitable planet should not be surprising, as if we could never arise on a non-habitable planet." So the anthropic principle I would guess does NOT indicate there should be additional planets. Not that it is inconsistent with them, however.

2. N/A given #1.

3. Do not know, but I highly suspect many, many years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox This shows up in the 1950s, probably even the 1930s, so at least that far I would think. But probably very long before that.

Happy to not help lol!

By the anthropic principle, I argue that the existence of homo sapiens is possible.

• Haha
Likes KobiashiBooBoo and pinball1970
A lot of anthropic predictions are posthoc. For instance, the value of the fine structure constant has to lie within a certain range for life and chemistry to be possible.

I am not aware of many examples where this was inverted to make a prediction. The only (kinda/sorta) exception that I know of, other than Weinbergs CC observation was Fred Hoyles prediction about a new resonant state of carbon12 in stars (called the Hoyle state)..

It should be noted that a lot of the anthropic principle stuff borders on tautology, so its always somewhat definition/philosophy dependent.

Haelfix said:
A lot of anthropic predictions are posthoc. For instance, the value of the fine structure constant has to lie within a certain range for life and chemistry to be possible.

I am not aware of many examples where this was inverted to make a prediction. The only (kinda/sorta) exception that I know of, other than Weinbergs CC observation was Fred Hoyles prediction about a new resonant state of carbon12 in stars (called the Hoyle state)..

It should be noted that a lot of the anthropic principle stuff borders on tautology, so its always somewhat definition/philosophy dependent.
I think the anthropic reasoning is important if you want to reformulate scientific hypotheses into Bayesian form, because anthropic reasoning introduces an observer bias. This has implications for the way you sample your own existence, but there is no agreement how to sample exactly. See e.g. Nick Bostrom's book on anthropic bias:

https://anthropic-principle.com/

PAllen said:
By the anthropic principle, I argue that the existence of homo sapiens is possible.
How much probability do you attribute to homo sapiens not existing (the falsification of this reasoning with the anthropic principle), a priori? Just how unexpected is this "prediction" that hey, it turns out homo sapiens exists? What progress does this give to modern science?

I'm beginning to think it's just us out there (here).

anorlunda said:

View attachment 318557
The dart in the bullseye says "There should be more darts in bullseyes, how else did we end up here? It must have been quite likely."

1. What is the concept of anthropics in science?

Anthropics is the study of the relationship between humans and the universe. In science, it refers to the idea that the existence of humans and their ability to observe the universe is a crucial factor in understanding and making predictions about the universe.

2. How have anthropic principles been applied in successful predictions in the history of science?

One example is the prediction of the existence of the planet Neptune. Using the anthropic principle, scientists predicted the location of Neptune based on the gravitational influence it would have on the orbit of Uranus. This prediction was later confirmed by observation.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak anthropic principles?

The strong anthropic principle states that the universe must have properties that allow for the existence of intelligent life, while the weak anthropic principle states that the universe must be compatible with the existence of intelligent life, but does not necessarily require it.

4. How has the concept of anthropics been challenged in the history of science?

Some scientists argue that the anthropic principle is a tautology, meaning it is a statement that is true by definition. They argue that it does not offer any real insight or explanation for the universe's properties and instead is a result of selection bias.

5. Can anthropic principles be applied to all scientific predictions?

No, anthropic principles are primarily used in cosmology and astrophysics, where the existence of humans and their observations play a significant role in understanding the universe. It may not be applicable in other fields of science, such as biology or chemistry.