Suction Pressure at different orifices

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure distribution in a chamber with a tube connected to a vacuum pump and three orifices with different diameters. The question is whether the pressure experienced by the porous membrane at each orifice will be the same and if anything will change if the orifices are replaced by tubes. The suggestion is to use Bernoulli equation to calculate the air pressure and velocity in each pipe and it is mentioned that the pressure will be smaller in the pipe with a 2 mm diameter.
bluetooth
Hello engineers,
I am struggling with this seemingly simple problem and I was hoping to get some directions. Please look at the attached figure. I have a small chamber with a tube (radius=3mm) that is connected to a vacuum pump. The pump operates at -600 mmHg. The chamber is filled with air at room temperature. The other surface of the chamber has 3 orifices with diameters 2, 4 and 6 mm. Assume that there is a a porous membrane on the other side of the chamber. Now:
What is the pressure at each of the orifices? Since pressure is force per unit area, I would think that the pressure (force per unit area) experienced by the porous membrane at each orifice will be the same. Is that right? Will it be -600 mmHg. Or will it vary depending on the orifice size?

Further, if the orifices are replaced by tubes with diameters corresponding to the respective orifices they replaced, what (if anything ) will change? I think we can perhaps calculate the air pressure and velocity in each pipe using Bernoulli equation. For pipe with 2 mm diameter, the pressure will smaller.
Is this correct? Please help me understand this correctly.
I appreciate any response in advance.

Attachments

• suction_orifice.PNG
    suction_orifice.PNG
    14.7 KB · Views: 416
Engineering news on Phys.org
So many views and no suggestions? Please help ??

1. What is suction pressure at different orifices?

Suction pressure at different orifices refers to the pressure created by a suction device, such as a vacuum, at various openings or openings with different sizes. This pressure is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (PSI) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How does suction pressure at different orifices affect performance?

The suction pressure at different orifices affects performance by determining the strength of the suction force and the amount of air or fluid that can be moved. A higher suction pressure at a smaller orifice will result in a stronger suction force, but with a lower capacity for moving air or fluid. Conversely, a lower suction pressure at a larger orifice will have a weaker suction force, but a higher capacity for moving air or fluid.

3. What factors can affect suction pressure at different orifices?

Several factors can affect suction pressure at different orifices, such as the size of the orifice, the power of the suction device, and the environment in which the device is operating. The type of fluid or material being suctioned can also impact the pressure, as well as any obstructions or blockages in the system.

4. How can suction pressure at different orifices be measured?

Suction pressure at different orifices can be measured using a pressure gauge or manometer, which are devices that can accurately measure pressure. The gauge or manometer is attached to the orifice, and the pressure reading can be observed and recorded.

5. What is the importance of understanding suction pressure at different orifices?

Understanding suction pressure at different orifices is crucial for the proper functioning and efficiency of suction devices. It allows for the selection of the appropriate size and power of the device for a specific task, and helps to prevent damage or malfunction due to excessive or insufficient suction pressure. It is also important for ensuring the safety of individuals operating the suction device.