Determine the pressure gradient for suction

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a product that will pump metal components similar to a vacuum cleaner. The main concerns are calculating the pressure difference needed and determining the best mechanism to use, with pneumatic conveyors being a potential solution. The conversation also mentions the potential use of air blowers and the need to separate the metal pieces from the air.
Avram
Hello,
Im designing a product which will pump components as vacuum cleaner does.
I have 2 questions:

Im trying to calculate the pressure different in order to pump those metal component with :
M=0.2 kg , dimensions (mm) cylinder with diameter 5.5 mm length 600mm .

the formula for pressure is F\A: which A should i take :
1. (1\4)*pai*diameter^2
2. diameter* length
3. cross section of suction area which can be determined as i wish?

Which mechanism can i rely on?

I have been thinking about air blower, but I am afraid the blades will fail quickly (i pump metal components)
Air blower : https://www.mcmaster.com/#9960k51/=1bb5u6o

which method can i rely on ? (no hydraulic only pneumatic)
1WoRf0Q.jpg

thanks

Attachments

• 1WoRf0Q.jpg
    1WoRf0Q.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are trying to invent a pneumatic conveyor. Google that term. You will find the answer to your questions, and give you some ideas.

jrmichler said:
You are trying to invent a pneumatic conveyor. Google that term. You will find the answer to your questions, and give you some ideas.

You right, that's the term.
But still my application is a bit different, my product goal is to lift and transport those metal particle.
The pneumatic conveyor just transport solid from one place to another.

Pneumatic conveyors are built with the fan at the pickup end, with the fan at the discharge end (as in your sketch), and with the fan off to the side. The systems with the fan off to the side inject air into the middle of the conveyor line through an arrangement similar to an eductor (google the term).

Your sketch will get the job done. You merely need to figure out how to separate the metal pieces from the air so they don't get sucked into the fan. For some ideas, look at shop vacuums and look up cyclone separators.

1. What is pressure gradient for suction?

The pressure gradient for suction is a measure of the change in pressure over a given distance in a system where suction is applied. It indicates the force that is driving the movement of a fluid or gas towards a lower pressure area.

2. How is pressure gradient for suction calculated?

The pressure gradient for suction can be calculated by dividing the difference in pressure between two points by the distance between those points. This can be represented by the equation: Pressure gradient = (P2 - P1) / d, where P2 is the pressure at the second point, P1 is the pressure at the first point, and d is the distance between the two points.

3. What units is pressure gradient for suction typically measured in?

Pressure gradient for suction is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). It can also be measured in terms of pressure head, which is the height of a column of fluid that exerts the same force as the pressure gradient.

4. How does pressure gradient for suction relate to fluid flow?

The pressure gradient for suction is directly related to fluid flow. A larger pressure gradient will result in a stronger force driving the fluid towards the lower pressure area, leading to a higher flow rate. Conversely, a smaller pressure gradient will result in a weaker force and a lower flow rate.

5. What factors can affect the pressure gradient for suction?

The pressure gradient for suction can be affected by several factors, including the difference in pressure between the two points, the distance between the two points, and the properties of the fluid or gas being moved. Other factors such as temperature, viscosity, and the presence of obstacles can also impact the pressure gradient for suction.