Suggestion for undergrad thesis in math

In summary: What have you studied so far that you could potentially write a thesis about? What topics or areas interest you? Have you spoken with any professors or advisors about potential thesis topics? In summary, as a finishing undergraduate student, it is important to have a specific focus for your thesis. Consider exploring topics that interest you and talking to professors for guidance and potential thesis ideas.
freackmhack
hello guys, I'm so very worried about my thesis, i can't come up with a title or any idea what will be my thesis all about .. would you lend me some help or suggestion what topic ? thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
freackmhack said:
hello guys, I'm so very worried about my thesis, i can't come up with a title or any idea what will be my thesis all about .. would you lend me some help or suggestion what topic ? thank you

As a finishing undergraduate you should know by now that your question is too wide:

What do you like ? What optional courses did you take? Do you like better analysis, topology, algebra, probability...? What teachers

and what do they deal with are there available as u.g. thesis advisors?

Common, a finishing u.g. student should know better...

DonAntonio

freackmhack said:

There's a famous Topologist who in my opinion said it best and it's something I do all the time: I don't try and find something particular to work on. Rather I just "wade" in the mathematical waters and let the tide carry me wherever it leads. I find that very fitting to my way of doing things. So I suggest you consider that: just wade. Do something you find interesting with no particular goal in mind and allow it to carry you where it leads.

Why are you asking this to strangers on the internet and not to your professors??

Furthermore, you really need to give more information than in your OP.

Hello,

I understand your concern about your undergraduate thesis in math. Choosing a topic can be a daunting task, but I'm here to offer some suggestions and help you get started.

First, think about your interests within math. Is there a particular branch or topic that you find most fascinating? This can be a good starting point for your thesis. You can also browse through recent research papers in math to get inspiration for a potential topic.

Another idea is to talk to your professors or academic advisors for guidance. They can offer valuable insights and suggest potential topics based on your strengths and interests.

Additionally, you can also consider current real-world problems that can be solved using math. This can make your thesis more relevant and impactful. Make sure to do thorough research on the chosen topic and gather enough data to support your thesis.

I hope these suggestions help you in choosing a topic for your thesis. Remember to choose a topic that you are passionate about and have enough resources to support your research. Best of luck!

Related to Suggestion for undergrad thesis in math

1. What is a good topic for an undergraduate thesis in math?

A good topic for an undergraduate thesis in math is one that is both interesting and manageable for the student. It should also be relevant to current research and have the potential to contribute to the existing body of knowledge in the field.

2. How do I choose a thesis topic in math?

Choosing a thesis topic in math involves exploring different areas of math that interest you, discussing potential topics with your advisor, and reviewing current research in the field. It is important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and have the necessary background knowledge to pursue.

3. Can I do a thesis in math if I am not a math major?

Yes, many universities allow students from different majors to pursue a thesis in math. However, it may require taking additional math courses to gain the necessary background knowledge. It is important to consult with your advisor and the math department to determine the requirements for non-math majors.

4. How long does it take to complete an undergraduate thesis in math?

The length of time to complete an undergraduate thesis in math can vary depending on the topic, the student's schedule, and the university's requirements. It typically takes 1-2 semesters to complete the research and writing process, but some students may take longer if they have other commitments or if their project is particularly complex.

5. Can I work with a faculty member on my thesis?

Yes, it is highly recommended to work with a faculty member on your thesis. They can provide guidance, support, and expertise in your chosen topic. It is important to establish a good working relationship with your advisor and communicate regularly throughout the research and writing process.