Suiltible catalyst or alternative for obtaining potassium

• Thread starter tc_kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catalyst
In summary, In trying to obtain pure potassium from potassium chloride, the author has tried various DC power sources with no success. If there are no other methods available, the author suggests electrolysis using an aluminium anode.
tc_kid
i have a whole bunch of potassium chloride and will be getting more soon.
ive been attempting to obtain pure potassium by electrolysing the molten potassium chloride.

so far ihave tried using a car battery, 12v-45a and a 15v-u/k amperage lithium-polymer battery charger(which I've also used to electrolise other things) but I am not getting any reaction, its not even conducting.

i was wondering, what could i use a catalyst for this set up?
alternatively, what else could i use? any other more suitible DC power source?
Is there any realistic way to rectify a 15000v-30ma nst?(that would be perfect)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Potassium has been cathodically deposited in a propylene carbonate electrolyte with concurrent dissolution of aluminium. Starting with an AlCl3-free electrolyte, changes in the composition and conductivity of the electrolyte, as well as those of the electrode potentials, were measured as a function of charge passed. Anodic and cathodic current efficiencies were both close to 100%. The observed behaviour is consistent with the overall reaction stoichiometry This reaction and its analogues for other alkali metals may conceivably form the basis of practical processes at ambient temperatures for the recovery of alkali metals from their chlorides with concurrent production of aluminium chloride.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/r88vw245h2866lj2/

To recover K for KCl, one would use a non-acqueous electro-refining or electro-winning process. Above is one example. Off-hand, I don't remember the standard process, but I'll look into it.

thanks for looking into it... as for the link, at this time of night confuses me, i can't picture the set up here, is this still electrolysis only using an aluminium anode? also, what exactly is it instructing i do with the electrolite?

what other methods are there other than electrolysis to obtain potassium from potassium chloride?(prefferably something simple that doesn't require much fancy lab apparatus, my school doesn't let students use the lab unless it is for something syllibus related and they most certainly don't let us get near alkali metals) if there are no other methods then again i ask, what could i do to get my current set up to work?
At my immediate disposal i have:
.KCl
.12v 44a car battery
.15v li-po charger
.15kv 30ma NST
.smaller transformers with unknown values(probably 12v-120v)
.carbon electrodes(pencil graphite)
.yes, lots of aluminium
.basic apparattus, stands,test tubes,bunsen burner etc.
i also got a lot of junk lying around so if i need something else(non-related to the reaction it'self) i don't have i could probably improvise

1. What is a suitable catalyst for obtaining potassium?

A suitable catalyst for obtaining potassium is platinum. It is commonly used in the Haber-Bosch process, which involves reacting ammonia and hydrogen to produce potassium.

2. Can a non-metallic catalyst be used to obtain potassium?

Yes, non-metallic catalysts such as zeolites or enzymes can also be used to obtain potassium. These catalysts have specific active sites that can facilitate the reaction for obtaining potassium.

3. What is an alternative method for obtaining potassium without using a catalyst?

An alternative method for obtaining potassium without using a catalyst is through the electrolysis of potassium chloride. This involves passing an electric current through a potassium chloride solution to separate the potassium ions from the chloride ions.

4. How does the choice of catalyst affect the efficiency of obtaining potassium?

The choice of catalyst can greatly affect the efficiency of obtaining potassium. A suitable catalyst should have high activity and selectivity towards the desired reaction, as well as being stable under the reaction conditions. Using an inefficient catalyst can result in lower yields and longer reaction times.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with using a catalyst for obtaining potassium?

Yes, there are potential environmental concerns associated with using a catalyst for obtaining potassium. The production and use of catalysts, particularly metallic catalysts, can result in the release of hazardous substances into the environment. It is important to properly dispose of used catalysts and minimize their use to reduce environmental impact.

Back