Sulfur Extraction and Potassium Nitrate

In summary, the conversation discusses extracting Potassium Nitrate and sulfur for use in pyrotechnics. The speaker has found a recipe for extracting Potassium Nitrate from nitrate-bearing potting soil and is wondering if they can also extract it from rocky gravel containing 9.00% nitrogen nitrate. They also mention finding sulfur at a garden store, but note that it may be too difficult to extract from epsom salt and suggest finding a different source. Overall, the speaker is seeking advice and suggestions for safely obtaining these materials for their experiments.
fireboytommy
Well I've found this recipe to extract Potassium Nitrate from nitrate bearing potting soil containing 0.09% nitrate nitrogen and I've also found this one soil (well its more like rocky gravel) for turfs that contains 9.00% nitrogen nitrate. Okay so my question is can i extract the one with 9.00% when its in gravel type form with boiling water and ash on the bottom of it like the recipe says or should i just stick with the potting soil. Also i saw that the 9.00% percent one is from ammonium nitrate.
Oh yeah the recipe is from jolly roger i know its not safe but what the heck its not nitroglycerin.

I've also been looking for sulfur. I was wondering if it was possible to extract it from epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) but i was thinking that was pretty hard and i should stick to going to nurserys or pharmacies (despite the fact that at pharmacies you have to have a damn good explanation to tell them why you need it) and well yeah. i was wondering if i could get sulfur (90% pure or more in crystalline/powder form) from household ingredients using a safe procedure...well...dont worry abou thte safety too much... :)

Thansk i would really appreciate the help I am just trying to experiment with a little bit of gunpowder in pyrotechnics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
As for the Sulfur,
It will be way too difficult to try to extract elemental Sulfur from Magnesium Sulfate...best to find another source.

I get sulfur at a garden[-ish] type of store, brand name "Hi-Yield Dusting Wettable Sulfur". It comes in a 4 lb. yellow and red, heavy duty paper bag containing 90% pure Sulfur. I believe it is often used (or is supposed to be used as) repel certain pests (like chiggers and mites) on plants.
Something like this would probably be your best option.

First of all, I would like to say that it is not safe or recommended to extract chemicals such as sulfur and potassium nitrate from household ingredients. These chemicals can be highly reactive and dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and obtain these chemicals from reputable sources.

In terms of extracting potassium nitrate, it is possible to extract it from nitrate-bearing potting soil or ammonium nitrate, but it is important to follow a safe and reliable method. Using boiling water and ash may not be the most effective or safe method, and it is best to stick with the recipe and ingredients recommended by a reputable source.

As for extracting sulfur, it is not advisable to extract it from epsom salt or other household ingredients. It is best to purchase sulfur from a nursery or pharmacy, where it is readily available and safe to use. It is important to note that sulfur is a highly reactive and flammable chemical, so it is important to handle it with caution and follow proper safety measures.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend against trying to extract chemicals such as sulfur and potassium nitrate from household ingredients. It is safer and more reliable to purchase these chemicals from reputable sources. Additionally, it is important to always follow proper safety protocols when handling and using these chemicals.

1. What is sulfur extraction?

Sulfur extraction is the process of obtaining sulfur from its natural sources, such as volcanic gases or mineral deposits. It involves various techniques such as mining, drilling, and chemical reactions to separate sulfur from other elements and compounds.

2. Why is sulfur extracted?

Sulfur is an essential element used in various industries, including agriculture, medicine, and manufacturing. It is also a vital component in the production of sulfuric acid, which is widely used in many industrial processes.

3. What is potassium nitrate?

Potassium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, is a chemical compound composed of potassium, nitrogen, and oxygen. It is commonly used as a fertilizer, food preservative, and in the production of gunpowder.

4. How is potassium nitrate produced?

Potassium nitrate is produced through a process called nitration, where potassium chloride is reacted with nitric acid. The resulting solution is then evaporated to form crystals of potassium nitrate.

5. What are the uses of sulfur extraction and potassium nitrate?

Sulfur extraction and potassium nitrate have various uses in different industries. Sulfur is used in the production of fertilizers, rubber, and fungicides, while potassium nitrate is used as a food preservative, in fireworks, and in the manufacturing of glass and ceramics.